Some Hex 3 questions...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
I've only had my Hex 3 out a couple of times. No rain either time so can't comment on the rain issue....BUT..........the last time I camped was in the middle of a winter storm with high winds that dropped about a foot of snow at my campsite. I did get some spindrift through the vents that made a nice little pile on top of my sleeping bag in the morning! No real problem and I'm not too worried about it's ability in the vast majority of rain storms.

I did find that it didn't feel as large as many of the reviews had led me to believe though. I'm used to sheltering under an 8x10 foot siltarp that has loads of room but isn't as secure in shifting wind conditions. Can't complain too much though since the Hex seems to weigh hardly anything and since I'm already carrying 40 pounds of "survival rations" around my waist, any weight reduction I can buy off the shelf is worth it!!!

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I got mine only a few months ago from Campmor - a US site. The price to the UK shipped (through a small package forwarding service by Unforgiven at CPF), was almost half the price of buying over here. ;)

I would rate it highly, though no porch is a serious bummer. I use the flysheet and the inner mozzy net, so I have to take my boots off before I get in - even in the rain! :rolleyes: I couldn't possible dirty the floor!

No porch lets it down a bit definately. :(

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
The lack of porch is the main concern my other half has, especially as this will be our only tent for use both when out with DoE groups and also in the hills. But then saying that, its lighter and cheaper and has more space then almost every other 4 season tent on the market, which makes it ideal either as a solo tent or for the two of us.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Just for info I have just ordered a Shangri La 3 and Nest (Hex 3 upgrade) from https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product348.asp They are expecting stock from the US within 2 weeks or so and are now taking orders. They also informed me when I stressed that it was the Green version I was after that they have specifically requested Green and are not interested in the Bamboo (Yellow) version. No connection to the company etc. but very easy to deal with so said I would pass on the experience as I know there is interest here :)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
My only moan about the Hex is the '3 man tent' claim, well, its not, even without the pole and suspending the tent. Its two in comfort really, especially if you want to bring rucksacks and other kit inside. You could fit three without pole, but that would be too short on space for me.

That's the same with many tents I suspect.

My other half finds tents a lot more cramped than I so even when I bought a three man tent, she still perceived it as too small. :rolleyes: :D That has since been sold and I use my hammock when it's just me and an el-cheapo tent when it's the two of us.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Your right Stew, before I got the Hex, I picked up a two man Vango off eBay and there was no way me and Luke would fit in it. I like space to move about, maybe this is why I can't get on with hammocks, I hate being in any type of cocoon I guess. I love the idea of a hammock, just don't enjoy being in one:sigh:

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
Seems to me that the main criticisms are:

- it can be prone to letting in rain through the vents or particularly under the bottom of the outer
- to counteract this you then use either a groundsheet or the nest.
- there is no porch space for kit so you put up a tarp as well

The weight saving of the Hex 3 is negated when you add a nest (even more so with a tarp) so why not go with a quality 2 man tent anyway? Some geodesic tents give better internal space than the Hex 3 i.e more vertical walls, have a porch and weigh the same or less than a Hex 3 with nest.

Emperor's new clothes?

Just my opinion :)

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
The weight gain with nest still only brings it up to 2.3kg, if you take outer only and bivvy you're under 1kg. There aren't any quality 3 man tents (or 2 man with big porch) that come under this weight catagory.

Geodesics are flawed in that in bad weather they either survive or fail completely, its being recognised that tunnels may be the way forward due to the fact they twist instead of breaking.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Seems to me that the main criticisms are:

- it can be prone to letting in rain through the vents or particularly under the bottom of the outer
- to counteract this you then use either a groundsheet or the nest.
- there is no porch space for kit so you put up a tarp as well

The weight saving of the Hex 3 is negated when you add a nest (even more so with a tarp) so why not go with a quality 2 man tent anyway? Some geodesic tents give better internal space than the Hex 3 i.e more vertical walls, have a porch and weigh the same or less than a Hex 3 with nest.

Emperor's new clothes?

Just my opinion :)

The tent is about 800gms so not heavy and the nest is not heavy to be honest. You can just buy the groundtub ground sheet which is lighter than the nest. There is enough room inside to cook with a small stove, I've done this and you can lower the tent edge to the floor by a simple adjustment of the pole. I pitch the Hex and nest quicker than others pitch a tarp and hammock, and its lightning fast to pitch compared to a dome, easy to do on you own as well (I borrowed a TNF 25? on a try before you buy but found it a nightmare to pitch on my own and ended up needing help (I did not buy the tent although it was cheaper than the Hex). I always pitch a tarp anyway, even in summer, but like any Tipi, you will get wet in the rain if you leave a door open. I love the Hex but am now in the market for something bigger, I want to use a camp bed etc, so its a Tundra 8, Big Horn 2 or a big canvas bell tent sometime this year. The Vango Force Ten Mk5 I got from EdS will see a lot of use this summer, it will take 2 full size air beds with ease:) as you can see, I'm not into ultra light camping:D

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
As I said, only my opinion! I prefer the benefits of a tarp for true 'outdoor camping' and a tent with a porch as my alternative. I still don't really get what makes the Hex 3 so popular but that's just me. I also don't understand the hammock camping year round thing - it was only ever advocated for warmer climes or warmer times of the year in this country, baffles me why it's now seen as the year round thing to do.

Having said that, as I canoe camp rather than backpack most of the time weight and space aren't issues.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Having said that, as I canoe camp rather than backpack most of the time weight and space aren't issues.
Thats my main issue at the moment I'm trying to get set up so that we can easily spend several days in the hills without crippling ourselves. Tarp is and I'll be using that where possible but I'm still not convince for instance in Scotland where midges rule :p

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
Thats my main issue at the moment I'm trying to get set up so that we can easily spend several days in the hills without crippling ourselves. Tarp is and I'll be using that where possible but I'm still not convince for instance in Scotland where midges rule :p

A shelter without protection from the midgies (tarp only or Hex without nest) would be a nightmare. Could consider a mossy net but then that's not overly practical for proper outdoor living.

Go for a good tent - you know it makes sense! Then get a big tipi for winter camping with a fire - that I can see the point of.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I prefer the benefits of a tarp for true 'outdoor camping' .

I think tents represent 'true outdoor camping' as they are used by native people all over the world?

Not sure on the length of the packed poles, but the tent and poles/pegs easily pack into the side pocket of a Bergen with room to spare. I usually pack these and a one litre fuel bottle in one side pouch, the nest, Nova/Omnifuel stove, KFS, firelighting kit, LED torch in the other pouch, both pockets have room for a chocolate bar or three left over.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
That is seriously cheap. Anyone know the import duty rate on tents?

12% of cost & carriage. Then an additional 17.5% of VAT.

Somewhere above $340 I think, depending on the "handling fee".

Backpackinglight have the shelter for £149.99, another £34.99 for the tub.

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
I think tents represent 'true outdoor camping' as they are used by native people all over the world?

I was referring to camping unfettered by nylon walls to allow a panoramic appreciation of the surroundings whilst remaining protected from rainfall. Of course, tarps can be used in a multitude of ways and can provide 'walled shelter' as well - I'm talking more about the general principle. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
12% of cost & carriage. Then an additional 17.5% of VAT.

Somewhere above $340 I think, depending on the "handling fee".

Backpackinglight have the shelter for £149.99, another £34.99 for the tub.

If my maths is right then, tent, nest, post and duty means a grand total of £240 delivered to the UK.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If my maths is right then, tent, nest, post and duty means a grand total of £240 delivered to the UK.

Does seem a false economy, £149.99 + £84.99 , £234.99 from backpackinglight.co.uk with free post. Though don't get the free tub floor.

Guessing that because its new stock recently ordered, with the recent $/£ exchange, has brought the prices closer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE