Some bear photos from Wolf Cairn Moor, my home,,,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Haggis

Nomad
Last year I caught lots of photos of bears at my feeding station, (500 metres behind my home), but I'm wondering how much the largest these might have weighed?

This is the big bear,, s/he is on their belly feeding here,,,

This is a smaller bear,,, I've read that a bear that comes to the second ring on a 55 gallon barrel will weigh 280 to 300 pounds,,,

The poor dumb creature who spends his money and time feeding black bears,,,

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I don't know- but that is huge! I'd soil myself if I ever saw one- blacks aren't the biggest type of bear?!? I find them amazing- my favourite to watch on the wildlife programmes- but they're a bit scary too :D

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Insane stuff, I think it seems all that more mental to us Brits when the biggest predator we have to look out for in our backyard is the badger

Haggis

Nomad
Grizzly's and Polar bears are larger than black bears, still though, I've counted upwards of a dozen bears feeding at this station behind our home. We do on occasion see them in our yard, but for the most part they only come around the house at night. I weigh 205 pounds after a bath, so that and the barrel might help give perspective to the size of these two bears,,,

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Grizzly's and Polar bears are larger than black bears, still though, I've counted upwards of a dozen bears feeding at this station behind our home. We do on occasion see them in our yard, but for the most part they only come around the house at night. I weigh 205 pounds after a bath, so that and the barrel might help give perspective to the size of these two bears,,,

That's terrifying! I'd say they'll all weigh more than a hatchback! Wouldn't fancy trying to escape one of them either! Nice creatures though- as long as your not in their way.

Edit: we actually saw black bears once. On a safari- zoo thing at a place in France. In the back of a caged feud and they were massive when they stood up- pretty fearsome!

stonehippo

Forager
May 15, 2011
Birmingham
Do you know how to tell the difference between the bears? If you climb a tree and the bear climbs after you it is a black bear. If you climb a tree and the bear knocks the tree down it is a grizzly. If there are no trees it is a polar bear.

Haggis

Nomad
Generally, black bears are harmless enough; when feeding, they prefer nuts and berries to humans. I've read that if a hiker wears a belt of little bells whilst they walk, the bells will scare away grizzly bears. And too, in grizzly bear country, one should always carry pepper spray to stop a grizzly charge.

Of course, I've also heard that the way to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces, was that black bear feces will be full of berry seeds, but grizzly is full of little bells and will smell of pepper,,,

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
loving the bear identification tips, i must remember them all for next year when i am in the Adirondacks

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Wow...how fantastic!

I think I'd spend all my money feeding them to if I were lucky enough to live somewhere that they could come into my back yard!

Thanks for sharing Haggis :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Loving the bears - I would certainly bee feeding them too. I could also justify that Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 that I've been hankering after ;)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I reckon i'd want that military blunderbuss indoors that you were all talking about the other day just incase.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wasn't aware of that - although I see a difference between feeding stations in the woods and attracting them to cars and people to be honest.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I wasn't aware of that - although I see a difference between feeding stations in the woods and attracting them to cars and people to be honest.

Yeah, I see a difference as well. I'm not sure how the legalities differ though. A feeding station in the woods might well be seen as "baiting" which is generally against game laws in most states. In Florida, there aren't sufficient numbers of black bear for hunting so it's somewhat moot. But I believe in Minnesota (as from the OP) there is a huntable population?

In any case, attracting them close to humans is never a good idea (and they can definitely smell the human odor near the feeding stations) Once they are acclimated, they'll raid small livestock (chickens, rabbits, calves, etc.) And come onto the back deck foraging your garbage. Even if it's not your yard/livestock/garbage, it'll be the neighbors'. Eventually any fed bear is a dead bear.

Last edited:

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
In some places it's legal to set up bait stations for bears, normally for hunting them. In other areas the game laws prohibit bait stations.
I live with both black and griz in the vicinity of my home, and in my opinion you definately don't want to be feeding these things. Big, strong, powerful animals that will get into almost anything if there's a food reward. My yard is currently electric fenced to bits as there's a couple of griz spending a lot of time in the area and I don't want them in my poultry or veggies.
As for blacks being generally harmless.......not so sure.....research suggests that they are more likely to actively predate upon humans than griz (check Dr Stephen Herrero if you don't believe me) and I've definately come across more than one that's acted "wierd" when I've bumped into it

Biker

Nevermind the bears! In the third picture you got a picture of Santa Claus!! :Wow: That's conclusive proof he does exist!

Fascinating stuff Haggis, thanks for sharing it with us softy Europeans who cower indoors twitching the curtains when a dog barks three houses away. Stay safe fella.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE