Some advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Porcupine, is the only animal in the Canadian wilderness that can be easily hunted in a survival situation (no firearm or bow). Because of this, Dr Gino Ferri dubbed the porcupine "the survivor's friend". It is also why during the early 1900s, Canada removed porcupine from legal animals to hunt. This was to keep the populations high, so that if in a survival situation, a stranded hunter, or an injured trapper could still obtain food.

My mother's co-worker is making a dogsled team. One of his newer dogs is real vicious, and decided to maul and kill a porcupine the other day. He assumed I would know what to do with it (wonder how he got that idea :D ), and I found a young dead porcupine in my possession late last night.

Well, I hate wasting a good thing. So I removed the head and claws. Claws will be later made into necklaces, and the jawbones will make pendants for my nephew and a fellow bushcrafter when he arrives from Australia (howdy Wentworth).

The quills were too small to gather (1.5 cm long). So with no other use for him, I decided to go out and make lunch :lmao: .

IMG_0803.jpg

The porky up close

I first gutted, and then skinned him. And while I did this, I built up a large fire made from birch, alder, poplar/aspen and some hemlock (the tree of course). I chose those woods because... well.. I had no others :rolleyes: .

IMG_0808.jpg

Porky waiting to be roasted

As he cooked, I boiled rice on my MSR Dragonfly, and mixed olive oil, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt and cumin. As the meat began to sizzle, I smeared this "BBQ Sauce" on the browning meat.

IMG_0815.jpg

See? BBQ Sauce

IMG_0812.jpg

And with 2 hours of slow roasting.. layer upon layer of sauce smeared and basted onto the glistenning meat.. you know what it tasted like?

Wood :D . I'm serious, I was surprised that it didn't even taste like the sauce, the overpowering piney-meaty flavour masked hot cayenne!

So here's my advice.. if you get a porcupine for dinner;

a) drag an old rag across the quills about a dozen times, to help pull them out. Then you can learn quillwork.. or throw it out... or send the quills to me

b) Marinate the Porky for at least 24 hours in a strong marinade! I'm talking Soya Sauce, Worchestershire, Red Wine, Cayenne and Garlic all at once!

But the meat was fine... though I ate more rice than meat :cool:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We don't very many porcupines in blighty, we have some people that look like them, and we have hegdehogs. You have to pick hegdehogs up with gloves on. Not because of the quills but because they are utterly heaving with tiks and fleas. They are very cute if you are far enough away not see this.

Though I haven't tried eating them, they are cooked by rolling the unskined animal in clay and then baking. the quills and presumibly the insects come off in clay. I have no idea what they taste like.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Like dark meat chicken/ pork but not 'bacon' iirc :rolleyes:
My dad cooked one in clay like that when we were children.
They really do hoatch with bitey things too.

atb,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE