Soldier 95 Leather Gloves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 9, 2006
Peterborough
Firstly hello to everyone as this is my first post and thanks for saving me a fortune on duff kit (or should that be costing me a fortune on recommended kit?):confused:

I'm after some advice. I recently purchased a pair of surplus leather gloves from e-bay. Condition is perfect, however I was expecting the soldier 95 gloves with the wrist strap which these don't have. As a consequence I'm not sure whether these are "gortex lined". When I was serving I only got NI gloves, so not having been issued lined gloves, I am therefore unsure whether these do "what it says on the tin".

The NATO stock number is 8415-99-978-3714 (CC2/1539) dated 2002. Can anyone confirm for me whether these are "lined" or "unlined". I'm not particularly fussed about the wrist strap as the seller stated they may look diferent but I do want a breathable liner.

Cheers all!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Firstly hello to everyone as this is my first post and thanks for saving me a fortune on duff kit (or should that be costing me a fortune on recommended kit?):confused:

I'm after some advice. I recently purchased a pair of surplus leather gloves from e-bay. Condition is perfect, however I was expecting the soldier 95 gloves with the wrist strap which these don't have. As a consequence I'm not sure whether these are "gortex lined". When I was serving I only got NI gloves, so not having been issued lined gloves, I am therefore unsure whether these do "what it says on the tin".

The NATO stock number is 8415-99-978-3714 (CC2/1539) dated 2002. Can anyone confirm for me whether these are "lined" or "unlined". I'm not particularly fussed about the wrist strap as the seller stated they may look diferent but I do want a breathable liner.

Cheers all!

Hello Graham and welcome to the site!
It would be better if you could post a photo or a link to the same pair of gloves you are talking about.
The gloves I was issued with were leather which were a dark green/black colour with a black lining and had a wrist strap, and if I remeber rightly they had words on the lable to the effect of glove waterproof / breathable.
http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/275/products_id/2245
http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/catalog/popup_image.php/pID/2245

Nov 9, 2006
Peterborough
Greg,

Thanks for the reply.

The links you attached depict the gloves I was expecting. The ones I received look similar but without the wrist strap, they're just elasticated on the underside of the wrist and don't mention "waterproof" or "breathable" on the label, hence the query.

I'll try and add an image once I've done a forum search and identified whether I can do it without an imageshack or Flikr account as i don't have one.

Apparently I do have a Flikr account!
2237289360_aa2c14549f_m.jpg

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hi,

just to put your mind at ease, these are the new gloves that are issued. All they have done is remove the wrist cinch because that's what thousands of us did with the originals. :D

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Nice gloves well made but i like my old NI ones better. This is my last pair of the old NI ones.
Topknot.

img0780bb0.jpg

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Your joking aren't you Topknot, those old gloves are only good when they are dry! Get them wet and you might aswell not be wearing any.:rolleyes:

Boon

Oct 10, 2007
lincolnshire
i liked the old NI gloves still got a pair somewhere in the loft. which were modded by adding a lead strip in the nuckel pad. proved usefull once or twice. lol

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'm impressed with the issue gloves, both for waterproofing and good tactile feel.

Somebody told me once that they cost HM Govt £40 a pair. Can't verify this but it could well be true.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
All the ones i've had were foam lined, same as the new one's. The NI in the pic are dated 1984. As for loaded knuckels thats another story best left in the past.
Cheers Topknot.

Nov 9, 2006
Peterborough
Jedadiah,

Thanks for the information. As I already have a pair of leather gloves which leak when it rains (the aforementioned NI gloves), it'll be nice to have a pair which at least pretend to keep out the wetter weather!

Mind you they're both better than the woolen ones I originally got issued - darning needle handy anyone?

Boon

Oct 10, 2007
lincolnshire
[QUOTE As for loaded knuckels thats another story best left in the past.
Cheers Topknot.[/QUOTE]

still brings back happy memorys though. think the new ones are gortex lined will have a look as have just got a pair.

Boon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE