Socks Appeal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
We've discussed socks before, but over the weekend I found myself thinking about the sort of socks I wore when I started hiking. Big, thick, shapeless things, with not a terry-loop in sight and no hint of specific padding, just a load of heavy ribbed wool. They were always sold as "Fisherman's Socks" or "Trawlerman's Socks" or even "Lumberjack's Socks."

I discovered one place locally selling much the same item, even in the face of all the fancy technical stuff on the market, but the wool content turned out to be pretty low, and was bulked out with acrylic. Of course, memory may be playing me false about how "pure" those old socks were but I cannot believe that the old-fashioned heavy wool sock is dead and gone. Yesterday I priced up some of the latest Smartwool offerings (terrific socks, mind you) and they were selling at sixteen quid. Yes, eight quid a sock. Somehow I can't imagine the folks who work outdoors shelling out that sort of cash regularly, so where can good quality, simple, traditional socks be found these days?

And the first person to answer "On the end of good quality, simple, traditional legs" gets a slapping.

Dec 2, 2003
North West
I bought myself 5 pairs of Barbour Tweed Gun Socks a couple weeks ago. I'm only wearing cotton around the house now (mostly so I don't wear the wool ones out). They're actually only 80% wool but Barbour do quite a range, and even have 100% Merino Gun Socks (porbably quite xpensive though). The ones I have are knee high so I fold them back down to the ankles, inside of my boots. they're extremely comfortable and I'm very glad I got them.

Matt

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
the best socks i've ever found are merino wool thorlo's. a bargain at only fifteen quid a pair... :shock: :lol:

i'm currently testing sealskinz on the strength of the review here. not too sure at the moment.

cheers, and.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Personally I swear by good old army socks - wool acrylic mix, hard wearing and a good price.

Keep it simple stupid!

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I agree with Gary. I have only recently been introduced to army socks and comming from Thor Los and Fox river (which are my favorite if you can find them in the UK) I was prepared for rubbish, but they work really well. If you don't mind any colour as long as it's black.

I don't know how much they cost but if I lose a pair and need them reissued they cost me 50p so can't say fairer than that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE