Socks appeal ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
We all know that having the fight socks in important ... but there are just soooooo many to choose from .... so, what are your favorite socks?

I tend to have Cool-Max or Brasher socks and don't have any problems with them. I do sometimes wear silk liners underneath and really like them.

Sometimes I'll also wear Sealskins if I'm going somewhere really wet ... they keep your feet dry but they feel a bit ... odd.

I did try a pair of 1000 mile socks but wasn't really impressed. Not only did they give me blisters (the first in years) but they wore out in no time at all ... I think that there was a knack to the twin layer of the sock that I never really got.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
On Monday I bought some Brasher 3 season socks with coolmax and the following day did a walk in Snowdonia. They were fine, but the next day I did another walk in Darbyshire and got Blisters, also the first I've had for years. Funily enough the socks I normally use are '1000 mile socks' which I really like. I've never had blisters from them, thats the reason for the double layer approach. It's funny Adi, we seem to have had the same experiences, reversed :-D.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
That's is odd Ditchfield ... maybe it's a case of sticking to what you're used to!

Maybe I just got a bad pair of 1000 milers ... I've only ever really heard good stuff about them before and I only speak from experience on one pair.

What's your boot of choice? I use Lowa with sorbothane inserts.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I started hiking as a young nipper in Cubs, when the socks to wear were loop knit tube type socks and then big thick wool ones over the top. It was asin not to follow this rule!

Nowadays however, I find that if I just wear a decent fitting pair of boots, I can get away with wearing any socks and I never get blisters. I think I'm just lucky.

I do like any socks that have extra padding underneath though - think my favs are a brasher pair.
I like my sealskinz too, but only if I have a thin pair of socks underneath. They're great for when I'm camping and my trainers get soaked from walking through grass covered in the morning dew. I like keeping my feet dry! :-D

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just recently bought a couple of pairs of smartwool. I dont do much hiking, so cant comment on blisters and such, but I can say they feel great. I'm fair skinned and normally, wool of any kind drives me nuts. But these smartwool (100% merino wool) are great, no itchiness at all.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i used 1000 mile socks during the wye forest 50 last year. http://www.digitalbristol.org/members/walkers/WF50.htm i got some massive blisters. but i think that would have happened with pretty much any sock. i was using approach shoes, when the sun went down, the dew fell and wet feet were inescapable. next time i'll try sealskinz. they seem to be a favourite with the ultramarathon crowd. i used to use 1000 mile running socks for running. they were great.

the best socks i've found for more sensible walking are the merino wool thorlos.

cheers, and.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
if you can get hold of some genuine issue arctic socks its well worth it,very comfortable and warm,cheers al

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Mmmmm, yes, they are nice!
Guaranteed tosty feet in those!
al said:
if you can get hold of some genuine issue arctic socks its well worth it,very comfortable and warm,cheers al

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
For warmth and comfort you can't beat Smartwool although on long hikes I've still ended up with a few blisters. If I'm going to be doing long walks I usually use the 1000 mile socks, sometimes get hotspots with these but I've never had blisters yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE