Soap!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Virgil

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2010
East Sussex
Have been corresponding with the proprietor in Canada and may well be able to negotiate a deal.

http://www.medicineriversoapco.com/store/c11/NGNG.html

I have ascertained that the palm oil in the manufacturing has been sustainably sourced and there may well be a pal oil free range in the offing. They are also developing a travel range in traditional tins. What I am looking for over the next few days is expressions of interest rather than a firm commitment to buy. If and when I have been able to negotiate a deal, I'll post details for your consideration.

It may seem a little expensive but take a look at the whole website and bear in mind that these soaps are big ol chunks - bigger than the average bar....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ehm, not to rain on a good idea or suchlike, but Xylaria and Woodstock have their soap samples out among the forum folks just now and their reviews are coming along.

cheers,
Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Can you post up what they mean by "sustainably sourced palm oil" please?

The Medicine River Soap Company are not a registered trademark under the RSPO scheme (Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil).

http://www.rspo.org/en/trademark_licensees

Thanks - Red

Ehm, not to rain on a good idea or suchlike, but Xylaria and Woodstock have their soap samples out among the forum folks just now and their reviews are coming along.

cheers,
Toddy

No point in closing ranks, they look like decent products. I'd like to be sure the Palm oil is from a sustainable source, but if so, then why not encourage the OP?

To the OP, bear in mind that shipping into the EU incurs fees (vat and duty). When you've done your sums and included postage and packing costs you might well find the idea is unworkable.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd like to be sure the Palm oil is from a sustainable source, but if so, then why not encourage the OP?

I'd love to try it, looks nicely presented and well made. As you say, I just want to be sure the Palm Oil is sustainable - I was hoping to have jumped in with "yes it really is" when I looked the company up, but sadly couldn't find any documented reference to its sustainability. I'm sure they have details - I would just like to see them :)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I was calculating that the pine tar soap we are going make will sell at £3.50 for under 100gms or £4.00 for under 200gms. The reason grampas pine tar is sold on line for more than a fiver is that the 4oz bar is slightly too deep to go as a large letter so the post is 2.60 rather than £1.10.

I use british cow fat, I try and keep the distance an ingredient travels to a minimum. The beeswax, rapeseed oil, sunflower oil and lavender are british, the pine tar is processed in bristol from Scandinavian tar, and the other ingredients have to come from abroad.

We try and make stuff as simple as possible, so bushcraftuk members get the best value.

I not trying muscle out competition, their stuff does look really good. I just thought I would tell how much we were going to pine tar soap at.

Last edited:

Virgil

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2010
East Sussex
Thanks guys, lot of food for thought there.... I have already requested details of the palm oil certification but nothing as yet. It is the supplier that would be registered (I presume) so hopefully they'll get back to me with their source. Also you are quite correct.... hadn't considered the government cut of the proceeds which may indeed cross the line from 'premium price' to 'unworkable'. I'll continue to see what I can come up with and also give consideration to the home-grown mentioned! It's not the sort of thing I'll be able to afford a lot of so would be very interested in anything that the folks on here have to offer. Long live orangutans! If I might digress slightly, I understand that there are (expensive) opportunities to go and live and work with them for a month.......bushcraft, orangutans.... what's not to like?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have seen creatures that look just like orangutans walking about after the pubs close. They dont smell like they buy soap made with palm oil or tallow. It didnt cost me anything to see them.

I got stung doing a group buy on another forum. Alpkit torches, really small really good torches but more than 2.5 cm not matter how you pack them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE