Soap time again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They sound and look good enough to eat Hugh. Bet it smells braw down there.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Actually I hate the smell of soap in the making...melted fat and drain cleaner you know? Smells great after saponification, but the process smells grim

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
You've just reminded me that i need to get another batch of pine tar soap done, i've only got a couple of small bars left and it takes six weeks to cure

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Traces like lightening too huh?

Yeah i certainly learnt that lesson quickly the first time i made it, i nearly ended up with a 3ltr jug shaped bar of soap with a spatula sticking out of it like some insane lollipop

Last edited:

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Wow super nice! thanks for sharing. That looks lovely and so nice to have one own soap without crap ingredients.
I have only one bar of Granspa's left so maybe you can share the recipe?
ta bro!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wow super nice! thanks for sharing. That looks lovely and so nice to have one own soap without crap ingredients.
I have only one bar of Granspa's left so maybe you can share the recipe?
ta bro!

All the basics are here

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25733

BTW you do know that Grandpa soap contains Palm Oil? It contributes to deforestation, extinction of Orangutangs and massive habitat loss :(

Most don't know, but please consider switching to a brand without palm oil (including that made by members here) :)

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Thanks for the info, indeed will buy it of someone. Maybe someone in Holland makes it.
No more grandpa's that's for sure. :)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Wise words Hugh i did not know that about Grandpas, not that i have ever bought it before but it does look like a honourable brand, thankfully i haven't nor will i ever use palm oil in my soap making. It is good to make your own soap Mors, the real rewarding feeling comes when using it though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE