So. You think you can fell a tree?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Pretty impressive. Here is the video from the link...

[video=youtube;dcMtoiU3Eec]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcMtoiU3Eec[/video]

Thanks for posting. :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
This vid of same shows the ''hinge'' cut --- (at end of vid, and you can hear the people's own words instead of hillbilly music).

[video=youtube;9NRmYzLrvfM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NRmYzLrvfM[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Why not climb it and bring it down in sections? Less dramatic of course!

I thought about that too. Can't really see from the video but it's possible the buildings were too tightly spaced behind them for equipment to get in to lower the sections?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I thought about that too. Can't really see from the video but it's possible the buildings were too tightly spaced behind them for equipment to get in to lower the sections?

No equipment needed. Tie each section to the trunk below. Let it drop, then lower it to the floor along the trunk.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No equipment needed. Tie each section to the trunk below. Let it drop, then lower it to the floor along the trunk.

That would be a different skill in and of itself. One that isn't especially common here in the southeast; maybe in the Pacific northwest. That said, I really don't know exactly where this video was shot.

Or as you inferred, they might have done it as they did purely for he dramatic effect.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'd bet it's because it's more valuable intact.

One lone tree (especially that small) isn't valuable enough to actually harvest. No logger would waste a crew's time going after it. It likely got cut up and scrapped.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Reminds me of when we had some guy round to fell a row of old pines on the farm. I was maybe 8. They were next to a new post and rail fence on a steep slope. Employee of my Dad's expressed doubt that they could be felled without destroying the fence. The gaffer of the team stared him down, took a 1x1" 4ft stake, walked up the hill about 40ft and said "I'm going to drive that stake into the ground with the trunk of this tree".

He did, too. Hit it exactly square on, drove it all 4ft into the ground. Absolutely amazing skills.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Dropping a D-fir with the top on slows the fall = less chance of shake (internal shock shatter.)
At the end, I see they must have bucked it up, the last length hauled away with a skidder.

My next door neighbor has a little band-saw mill for logs like that. Good money in rustic outdoor furniture.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Why not climb it and bring it down in sections? Less dramatic of course!

It's possible to climb it and dismantle it as you say and easy enough to drop medallions down with a slight twist so they stop dead as they hit the deck, providing the ground crew clear them so one log doesn't bounce off the next. We've certainly taken down many trees like that in similar situations. The only two reasons I can see for felling it are cost, as one bloke, a chainsaw and few wedges are cheaper than a climbing and ground crew for half a day or so. And secondly there is what looks like an electricity pole to the right hand side, it's hard to see from the video but it looks like some or all is disconnected, maybe the rest up there isn't and they couldn't be swinging branches about up there because of the cables? Who knows but either way....that's an accurate bit of felling :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Reminds me of the redwood video that was posted on hear a few months ago,they where fellingredwoods with precision like that with what looked like axes if I remember correctly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE