SnugPak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
go for one of the Petzl ones with halogen and LED either a Mylo 5 or Duo.

The Duo are more expensive but are very robush and pretty waterproof (well dip proof rather than diving) - used by most ofthe climbers and caved I know.

Snugpak - opinion is divided, you either love their sleeping bags or hate them. Me I think there great, even with out getting them cheap form the factory.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I agree that the Tikka Plus is a good all round headtorch. LEDs are also good because they have a more diffused light, rather than one small spot, which is good for setting up camp etc.
I personally have no time at all for Snugpak. I know little about the jungle but will you really need a sleeping bag? What sort of temperatures do you get at night?

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Yep - tikka plus - I reckon the best available right now. Probably no more than £30.

Personally I'd not get one of the bigger units like the myo, the best thing about the tikka is how small and light they are, far more comfortable than the big old petzl's.

I suspect in rain forest, you won't get much use out of a long range torch as the beam will just get absorbed by the trees. If you do want one though, get a separate light like the Nuwaii Quanum 3 that uses a single C123 lithium battery (long shelf life) and chucks out loads of light - 30 - 75 lumens depending on who you believe.

These are small and light. A battery lasts about an hour but they're lightweight and you'll use it far less than the tikka so not too big a deal. If you don't like the style of the Q3, princeton tec make good value waterproof lights too.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Found these at Trek Direct last night:

fieldlamp.jpg

"Field Lamp
Variable brightness output from the 1 watt Luxeon LED which has the brightness of 10-15 normal LED's. Switch on base gives 5 different light settings. Gives enough light illuminate a two man tent for 150 hours on low output, 30 hours on high output. Will illuminate a 20'x20' area on high output. 100,000 hours LED life. Unbreakalbe polycarbonate frosted lens. Heavy duty 4" rubber base. Amazing piece of kit. Price includes UK P&P £40"

Sounds good, has anyone tried them???

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
redflex said:
Thinking of buying the SnugPak Travelpak Traveller , for sleeping out in a Rain Forest , anyone used one.

Need a good head torch around £45 , for working at night and around the camp any suggestions?
Yeah I have. Not that model though. I used a one season snugpak for six weeks in rainforest, it was great, and it survived. I still have it although it's lost most of its insulation now.

My latest nice bit of kit is a Black Diamond head torch. They do the smallest and ligthest that I've found. Cheap too. Black Diamond has a good rep (deservedly) for climbing gear.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
The snugpak will do you fine, in the jungle I have only found that it gets a little chilly early in the morning (depending of course on your altitude) I went to sleep lying on top of my bag pulled it over me when the temperature dropped in the early hours.

The tikka + will be all you need, no point in a long beam you cant see that far though the trees, so a dispersed LED light is more useful

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Have noticed a lot of reccomendations for the tikka+ but has anyone else tried the zipka? It is the torch I carry and find it more adaptable than the tikka as there is no headband to get in the way, and the zipka is more adaptable as you can put it on your wrist to use which I have found really useful at times.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Goose said:
Have noticed a lot of reccomendations for the tikka+ but has anyone else tried the zipka? It is the torch I carry and find it more adaptable than the tikka as there is no headband to get in the way, and the zipka is more adaptable as you can put it on your wrist to use which I have found really useful at times.
Just looked the Zipka up. Gotta say that looks really useful. It comes with a 3 year guarantee too, which cant be bad.

From the pictures I've seen the the Kevlar cords are very fine, is it comfortable to wear if you need to keep it on for a while Goose?

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
FeralSheryl said:
Just looked the Zipka up. Gotta say that looks really useful. It comes with a 3 year guarantee too, which cant be bad.

From the pictures I've seen the the Kevlar cords are very fine, is it comfortable to wear if you need to keep it on for a while Goose?

I had mine for about a week or so and loved it!
Loved being the operative word.... SOMEHOW I lost the thing!
I had JUST bought the cary case for it too!!!
It was amazingly comfortable(because of the light weight, I guess...).
I waited SO long to get one too... Finally broke down and got one, and then I go and lose it!!!:eek:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
FeralSheryl said:

No problems with comfort, I usually wear it over a hat anyway, but it holds well even without,the spring that holds it in place is just right and is an even pressure whatever it is stretched to. The torch itself is the same as the tikka(or tikka+) with the strap being the only difference. I have had mine about two years and it is always in my pocket, it still works fine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE