Snugpak stratosphere

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

norfolkjohn

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2010
norwich norfolk
hi all am considering purchasing snugpak stratosphere one man bivvi
shelter dont know much about them,reading specs they look quite good.
anybody got one or used one ?
any feedback before parting with my hard earn't cash would be appreciated.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had one for a while, it was okay but I didn't really get on with it. A couple of pros and cons .....

Pros:
Easy setup
Lightweight
Good venting options
Side zip for easy access
Handy storage pocket inside the door

Cons:
Probably a bit too small for my liking, it almost felt claustrophobic at times
The inner is coated with something that makes it really clingy, almost tacky
The fabric is very thin and didn't give me a lot of confidence in a woodland scenario (fear of punctures etc)

Those are just my personal feelings though and I know a lot of folk really rate them, maybe I didn't give mine much of a chance as I prefer to sleep in a hammock if it's possible. I sold mine on and went for a Terra Nova Saturn which is in another league really, but it also has a price tag to match unfortunately.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have one - it works fine. Plus points are the venting, midge net, minimal pack size and weight. Minus sideas are inability to vent sufficiently (zip the top off) in very warm weather and no-where to store your pack or boots. Also nowhere to cook in the rain.

Great value, but consider if a one man lightweight tent with a porch might suit you better befor buying

norfolkjohn

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2010
norwich norfolk
Hi shewie,thank's for the feedback. A hammock hmmm ! intrigueing never considered it but will give some serious thought any particular style,or just go for adaptability&size

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
thank's red willtake it on board,the inability to store or keep gear dry may well be major factor in my final decision to part with cash.

You can rig a little lightweight tarp over the door and give yourself a decent admin area to store gear. I have a 8x6' DPM one by Vanguard which only weighs 420g with cordage.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Granted - Thats what I do (with a 58 poncho) but I must admit, if buying again, I'd look out for a an ultralight with porch

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
a review of mine when i got it,
Small review and pics. First off, since the little one has arrived i haven't had the chance to get out and shaft half as much as i want. So this mini review is backyard bushcraft I'm afraid.
Went allow to see Stella's sister at the weekend, living just off the A59 their house backs on to countryside, so i thought id take the bivi to try.
It was a nice clear day but with very strong winds.
The bivi is (in my opinion very small and light when packed away.
With only ever putting this up once before when i first got it, decided to time myself, (bare in mind it was blowing a hoolie)
Right took it out and pegged the bottom to stop it blowing away
snugpakbivi03.jpg

once this is pegged out its just a matter of putting in the top to poles
snugpakbivi04.jpg

and another pic
snugpakbivi05.jpg

all in all it took under a minute to erect and in strong winds.
here's some more pics.
snugpakbivi01.jpg

snugpakbivi02.jpg

inside towards your feet still plenty room
snugpakbivi06.jpg

this is where your head goes
snugpakbivi07.jpg

the vent at the top end
snugpakbivi08.jpg

the small storage pocket, keys money small torch etc
snugpakbivi09.jpg

another vent which can be open or closed from inside to let fresh air on your face
snugpakbivi11.jpg

same vent from the inside
snugpakbivi10.jpg

and a pic of the zip as you can see its well concealed.
snugpakbivi12.jpg

Well am i pleased, ohhh yesss, it packs down small, weights very little, takes no time to put up, and is so simple.
Seems very well made, just need to test in a down pour, its supposed to very waterproof, time will tell.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The point about space for stowing gear is important. Most of the time my camping is when I'm traveling by motor-cycle, and I take a two man tent just for me and my gear. If I just take a bivi then the gear mostly stays on the bike, but I'm never very happy about that if there might be folk passing by. That's one of the reasons I like to hide away when I'm camping. If nobody knows I'm there then nobody is going to steal anything or do wanton damage. A friend of mine had his crash helmet stolen and it was a real pain getting another one because of course he couldn't legally drive the bike anywhere without one.

As for the actual bivi bag, I'm with Shewie and the Terra Nova. Mine's a Jupiter, I've had it for over ten years and it's still fine. It weigs 860g including the pole and a bit of cloth that I wrap around the ends of the pole because I'm paranoid about it puncturing the bag if I pack it carelessly and then stuff something down on top of it. Even if I'm in a tent I sometimes use it because my sleeping bag collects a lot less condensation if it's inside the bivi bag. They aren't for everybody, they can seem a bit claustrophobic. If you're on the large side, with a sleeping bag and some clothing it could be a bit tight.

Last edited:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have one and really like it. Having said that, when I use it I always rig a tarp to give me an admin area.

If you get one, ditch the heavy steel tent pegs that come with it & buy some lighter ones.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE