snugpak stratosphere

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Has anyone got any experience with this product. I have seen a couple of negative reviews about condensation build up whilst other highly recommend it.

I often find myself up in the hill where trees are scares so putting up a tarp requires poles ect and this may work for me enabling me to ditch the tarp. or am I better of sticking with my gortex bivi bag and tarp plus poles

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
It's basically a hooped bivy if you look at the dimensions. Without a tarp, if it rains and you need it, you'll be stuck in a small bag, and there's no way to get inside without getting rain inside too, that i can see, or change clothes, not really possible either. I'd stick with the tarp regardless personally, especially since i take trekking poles anyway.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
It doesn't look great to me. Like you a tarp is sod all use to me but it looks like the vaude power lizard tents must be coming to end of line or something as there were some great deals on then at around 200 quid. More than the snugpak but the same weight, the power lizard packs down small and you have a decent 1 - 2 person tent so in my view it was worth the cash over a cheaper solution. Worth considering.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Has anyone got any experience with this product. I have seen a couple of negative reviews about condensation build up whilst other highly recommend it.

I often find myself up in the hill where trees are scares so putting up a tarp requires poles ect and this may work for me enabling me to ditch the tarp. or am I better of sticking with my gortex bivi bag and tarp plus poles

Ok to kip in but not much else, be like sleeping in a coffin :(

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
It doesn't look great to me. Like you a tarp is sod all use to me but it looks like the vaude power lizard tents must be coming to end of line or something as there were some great deals on then at around 200 quid. More than the snugpak but the same weight, the power lizard packs down small and you have a decent 1 - 2 person tent so in my view it was worth the cash over a cheaper solution. Worth considering.

do you have a link?

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
My instructor David had one. It leaked like a leaky thing despite the labels saying for extreme weather. Snug pack said it performed within tolerance so couldn't guarantee it wouldn't leak again so sent him a one man tent instead. Was a while ago so they may have improved.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I cant really see the sense in hooped bivvy bags like that. For the weight and pack size you may as well just have a tent and be done with it

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
do you have a link?

I got mine from uttings but they seem to be sold out and no wonder at 200 quid. I'm sure a search would find some one selling them at similar money and I know a friend got one from Cotswold at the time I bought mine for similar money but think she might have got a decent discount. Very lightweight and nicely designed tent, only one hoop so requires a wee effort to get a tight pitch but I'm pleased so far.

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p103424-vaude-power-lizard-ultralight-tent-green-10265/

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I got mine from uttings but they seem to be sold out and no wonder at 200 quid. I'm sure a search would find some one selling them at similar money and I know a friend got one from Cotswold at the time I bought mine for similar money but think she might have got a decent discount. Very lightweight and nicely designed tent, only one hoop so requires a wee effort to get a tight pitch but I'm pleased so far.

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p103424-vaude-power-lizard-ultralight-tent-green-10265/

It does look like a good tent it may even be big enough for me and my son to squeeze into but I have nor been able to find any at that price I think you got a real bargain there.

Even at full price I may be tempted it is very light weight and I could carry this and do without the tarp and bivy bag making an overall weight saving.

Last edited:

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I've had one for quite a while now and really rate it. I used it as recently as Friday night in a complete downpour and as always it kept me warm and dry with no leaks.
If you don't use the ventilation flap then you will get excess condensation but that's why the flap is there.
I get the impression when Snugpak switched manufacturing location they had some QC issues but those are long since sorted and as I said, mine has been a stellar piece of gear for me.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
It does look like a good tent it may even be big enough for me and my son to squeeze into but I have nor been able to find any at that price I think you got a real bargain there.

Before Christmas there were a few places that had them around the 200 quid mark and I pitched in and bought one assuming there was a new model coming or something. I'd guess with some browsing there are bound to be a few out there still at decent money.

In terms of size then it is a good big tent for one but as with all two man tents it would be fairly tight for two adults. There was a tgo review on YouTube with Cameron and he said that he and his wife used it with no problems so worth checking that out.

For me the big saving wasn't just in weight but in volume as the power lizard is very pack able and even when rolled up in its bag it will still deform and compress to fit in small gaps in the rucksack. That really makes a big difference over the likes of my vango banshee which, once packed, is simply the size and shape that it is.

One thing about the power lizard is that the pegs are very lightweight and thin. Fine if you are camping on a good pitch on firm ground but sod all use on soft moorland. This will not be an issue for everyone but is for me but then no off the shelf tent has pegs that work on the ground I camp on so the vaude is no different.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE