Snugpak Softie Elite 2 sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Ok, so I have my cool Rab bag for the winter and cold bits of spring and autumn, but I kind of need a decent compact lightweight summer bag. I'm a cold sleeper so the smaller of the snugpaks are out, but the Softie Elite range looks interesting and I think the number 2 model suits my requirements: http://www.snugpak.com/30_codegreen/31_01_elite2_popup.htm

So far so good, but has anyone had any experiences of these? It says in the blurb that two can be zipped together, is this right?

It suggests a left and right hand zipped bag would be needed, and I'm waiting to hear back from Snugpak about this but it would be a useful feature to have as I need to buy a similar bag for my girlfriend, and this would be great for sharing body heat in the campervan...

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I've a Snugpak Elite 3 also, and a Chrysalis Micro. I've seen it somewhere (most likely here) that Snugpak seem to "big up" their temperature ratings and I'd be inclined to agree.
I'm a fairly warm sleeper and I was decidely chilly in the Chrysalis in June (5C comfort, 0C low). I'm not sure what you're supposed to be wearing at 0C in a Chrysalis Micro but it would have to be substantial IMO. I've never really understood sleeping bag ratings - they seem a bit subjective to me. Anyone?
I'll be using the Micro at the moot this weekend, but I'll have the Elite 3 in the car, just in case. When I bought these, www.supertent.co.uk was the cheapest I could find.
Looking at the Elite 2 and Elite 3 on supertent - there's a £1 difference between the two, so I'd go for the 3 if it was me.
If you're going to the moot, you're welcome to look at both this weekend.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
If you're asking about the difference between the Chrysalis and the Elite 3, there's a lot of difference. Again, I think Snugpak have exaggerated the "smallness" of the packed sizes - the compression straps on the Chrysalis stuffsac won't actually go as small as the stated size, even though it feels the bag could compress some more. I guess the Elite 3 is twice as big as the Chrysalis, roughly.
I haven't seen an Elite 2, if that's what you were asking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE