Snugpak Sleeping bags

B

Bulldog72

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there any major difference between Snugpaks' military bags and the 'civi' ones?

I'm in the market for a new bag and really fancy a snugpak and, so far, have managed to narrow it down to either the:

Softie Xpedition Extreme Temperature bag,

Softie Winter All Year Round bag, or an

Elite 5 (which is much faster to type!!).

I realise the fundamental difference between the two civi bags is the temperature rating but was wondering if there is any significant benefit in choosing the military bags.

Any help much appreciated, Ta!

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I don't know about the Civi ones, but I just spent the last week in a Sugpak Elite and love it. It's plenty long enough for me at 6'2", and has two zips so you can be baggy and cool or snug and warm. Seems rugged, warm, comfortable.

Toby

j.dee69

Mar 7, 2009
Lancashire
The difference in the civi and military bags are the military bags have a stronger lining around the feet area so you can wear your boots in them in very cold weather without ripping them.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I love my Elite 4 for winter nights out, best bag I ever bought.

Like j.dee says I think the military ones have the paratex extreme in the foot box rather than just the paratex light like the civvy ones.

And they're green ;)

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
I looked into this when I was looking at the Snugpak bags.

The only differences from the one mentioned above is the quality of the filling and the military ones have a waterproof outer.

In the military bags you get the super duper top of the line insulation, and you pay the extra for it.

In the civvi bags, you get a mix of the top of the line insulation, and the next quality down, and you save money in the process.

My elite 3 is rated to -5, and I have slept out in -5 in it and been perfectly warm.

I tend to use a breathable bivvi bag, so I don't need a waterproof outer on my sleeping bag and the bivvi bag adds a little to the temperature rating by adding an extra layer to hold the warm air in.

Hope this makes sense and is of some help.

Regards

Phill

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Bulldog,

If you're ever in Keswick there's a shop called "Keswick Mountain Sports" that has a perpetual sale on. They sell civvy Snugpac sleeping bags in there (as well as loads of other cut price stuff) for well below the RRP.

Cheers, Michael.

B

Bulldog72

Thanks very much fellas!

I suspected that the military bags would probably be a little more hard wearing. That's made it much easier to make my mind up, ta.

Michael, thanks for the heads up about that shop - will definitely have a look in next time I'm up that way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE