Snowsled Classic Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Do you have one? I can't decide which pocket configuration to go for. I'm leaning towards the classic style of the "kangaroo" pouch.
What do you have on yours?
I understand that the zip will open deeper on the version with the two bellows pockets, enabling more ventilation.
In the brochure it looks like these pockets have a zip and press-stud closure. Is this the case?
Your help would be appreciated....

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've got a Classic that I picked up second hand with the kangaroo pocket.

I like it, and if I was ordering one from new, I would get the same. The one thing you have to bear in mind is that the back of the pocket is the mesh liner (but it seems tough enough) because it's only single layer ventile. I don't know what the other style pocket is like.

I would recommend buying one. Antarctic Fire can vouch for me when I say that I wore it for most of last weekend while climbing in the Roaches as it was so bitterly cold and windy! It worked like a dream - far better than my Goretex jacket! (Which is annoying since I paid £60 for the ventile, and about £150 for the Goretex!)

My gripes with it are that I'm used to having one handed pull cords for the hood, which this doesn't have. Also, as the hood doesn't have a lining I find it hard to get it adjusted right as it pulls my hair funny and the adjustment is with a velcro tab. Lastly, sometimes I find elasticated cuffs annoying. But even with those problems I still love it!

Hope that helps!

AntarcticFire

Oct 3, 2003
Guildford, Surrey
www.uhmc.co.uk
Aye, I'll vouch... and I've got a pic to prove it too!

aau.sized.jpg

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Naah! :-D It only weighs about 3.5 kgs and all of it was essential :wink: (actually I just can't be bothered with the hassle of decided what I want each time I get on a route, so I just take the lot! Besides, it's a bit of weight training!)

I've just noticed that the rock doesn't look at all green but it was. The guidebook even describes it as "a slippery layback".

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I have the one with the bellows pockets. On the outer pocket it has two small velcro strips, on the innner one it has a press stud. I was at the NEC today and was talking to Stuart and he told he designed his own pocket configuration. Maybe doing that would be better for you! I got mine in September last year and I've not worn any other jacket since. :ekt: :biggthump

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Now I'm confused! Guys, the smock in your photos is not the one with a kangaroo pouch is it?
I thought it would have a horizontal pocket like this:
smock.gif

In the Snowsled brochure the Stormshirt has pockets like the one in AntarcticFire's pic. They call it a "tunnel pocket".
On the price list and order form they say:
"Classic (choose between single pouch, zipped or handwarmer pockets)"
Which is which?
I think I'll have to give Lorraine a ring.

An edit...I found a post by bigjackbrass in which he said:
"....... mine has a map pocket. Although they don't really advertise it much Snowsled will make the smock in several variations, so I went for a large front kangaroo pocket and added Velcro cuffs. It does shorten the front zip, though."

I think BigJackBrass has the one that I want - central map pocket and velcro cuffs. That should make the PERFECT smock.
(I have a bit of a smock fetish)

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Aah, good point. No mine isn't a kangaroo pouch.

I guess it would be like the buffalo tops then.

84425_l.jpg

One of the nice features of the Classic is the zip is quite long (better ventilation and makes putting it on/taking off easier). On the photo, it stops where the bottom of my camera is, so if you put a kangaroo pouch on it will be quite low. Not sure I would like this. :-D

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Thanks for you help Stew,
I'll ask Snowsled to use a shorter zipped section, so that the map pocket will be on the chest a la Buffalo.
Ventilation will be reduced but I'm not too bothered about that.
Can't wait now!

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Did I hear my name?

Sure enough, my Snowsled is the one with no hand pockets and a single large kangaroo pocket on the front. The smock is short enough for me to use my trouser pockets if I can't think of anywhere better to put my hands, and from past experience with my old Rohan Movi shirt I knew that I would prefer one big pocket at the front to multiple smaller ones.

The only drawback is the shorter front zip, but it does still allow a good deal of ventilation and the smock is not at all difficult to pull overhead. Unlike the earlier description, the kangaroo pocket has a Ventile backing rather than mesh, since it's sewn onto the front. Paying the extra for Velcro cuffs was worth it for me, as well. I've just walked in from a heavy downpour and spent much of the weekend in and around Manchester walking through equally cruddy weather, and as ever the Snowsled was always warm, dry and never a hint of a sweaty feeling. For those layering fetishists among you I was wearing it over a River Driver shirt from L. L. Bean, which is basically a two-layer Duofold top with a button neck.

Snowsled are a delight to deal with, by the way. Very helpful. The only thing I changed on my smock was the drawcord, which stuck out from the side and caught my hand as I walked. I simply took it out of the cordlock and fed it in from the other side, so that the extra cord is now inside the smock.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Thanks for the input bigjackbrass.
You have exactly what I want! A truely classic smock.
I'm going to give Snowsled a ring in the morning.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Sorry Guys,

I known it has been given before on a different thread but can some give the PH and Email address for Snowsled.

I will make sure I write it on something more substantional then a post it this time

Thanks
james

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
My smock arrived yesterday. I am extremely happy with it. Snowsled were a pleasure to deal with. Some pics..look familiar BigJackBrass??
resizedfull.jpg

resizedtop.jpg

resizedbottom.jpg

resizedcuff.jpg

resizedhood.jpg

resizedpocket.jpg

I paid an extra £10 to have the velcro closure cuffs that are usually found on the Snowsled Stormshirt.

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
I think that i'll be ordering one shortly too :-D

I can't understand why Snowsled fit the elasticated cuff as standard on this jacket - velcro is so much more flexible.

(I already have a Wilderness jacket but it,s gone into storage for the next 6 months....far too warm for it now!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE