Snowdon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 10, 2017
Lancashire
I was planning on a trip up Snowdon early next week but having checked various weather forecasts it seems pretty certain it is due to snow over the weekend, although each website seems to conflict with regards to how much.

The trip will be our first up Snowdon but we do have limited experience with both crampons and ice axes and plenty of experience with walking. Is it still a good idea to go given the weather?

How difficult is the journey up Snowdon with snow?

Thanks

Pioneer72

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2016
Shropshire
Snowdon with snow and ice can be proper ice mountaineering and shouldn't be underestimated - the best forecast is the snowdonia mountain forecast :
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/mountain-forecasts/snowdonia#?tab=mountainWarnings

The warnings tab gives you the specifics, then the overview will tell you the altitude of the freezing level. If there has been any wet weather recently, one can assume that above the freezing level altitude, the rocks & paths will likely have a thin layer of ice on them.
I don't go in winter weather personally, but I would imagine its a challenging trip, for which your crampons would be essential.

Hope that helps :) and that forecast page is great at any time of year

Feb 10, 2017
Lancashire
Snowdon with snow and ice can be proper ice mountaineering and shouldn't be underestimated - the best forecast is the snowdonia mountain forecast :
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/mountain-forecasts/snowdonia#?tab=mountainWarnings

The warnings tab gives you the specifics, then the overview will tell you the altitude of the freezing level. If there has been any wet weather recently, one can assume that above the freezing level altitude, the rocks & paths will likely have a thin layer of ice on them.
I don't go in winter weather personally, but I would imagine its a challenging trip, for which your crampons would be essential.

Hope that helps :) and that forecast page is great at any time of year

Thanks,

Thinking about switching to maybe an easier more familiar summit in possibly the lakes, such as skiddaw.

Pepper16

Jan 16, 2017
Derbyshire
If you are not experienced with ice axe and crampons give Snowdon a big miss in winter conditions. Several companies in the Lakes run ice axe and crampon courses - try them for some experience first. Any high Lakes summit may be similar under foot :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE