Snowdon route planning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Any suggestions as to which path up Snowdon is the best/safest at the moment?

We are planning an ascent this weekend but the ground condition up and around the pyg track isn't looking very good, with high avalanche risks.

I've not got any winter experience on the other paths, so was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/advice they could share?

I was thinking perhaps the ranger path instead, so to avoid the north east/ south east aspects.

Thanks
Andy

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It was sometimes fun in similar conditions thirty years ago, but by then I'd got a lot of four season walking and climbing experience in Snowdonia under my belt and back then was a true 'kit hound'. If the OP is well experienced and equipped (as should be his companions) then go have a look, but if not I'd stay lower down. Safety first kiddies please :)

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
It was sometimes fun in similar conditions thirty years ago, but by then I'd got a lot of four season walking and climbing experience in Snowdonia under my belt and back then was a true 'kit hound'. If the OP is well experienced and equipped (as should be his companions) then go have a look, but if not I'd stay lower down. Safety first kiddies please :)

Thanks for your concerns Rik. Kit isn't an issue, I'm just looking for input on other paths during the winter when the pyg track isn't looking so viable.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I thought following the train tracks was a big no no during winter?

Lots of cornices resulting in falls.

true, I worded that badly, Knowing a solid land mark it a great help. From experience there are bits of the mine track around the zig zags that can be very dangerous in winter conditions.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
With my experience, ML status and a good knowledge of the area when I lived in Snowdonia and worked as an Outdoor Skills Instructor I often soloed Snowdon in "interesting" winter conditions.
I often found that if the PYG looked too "interesting" then the Ranger path was more accessible with a modicum of safety.
Do make a good risk assessment based on conditions, actual ability and experience and kit (crampons and ice-axe etc etc etc) for all the prospective team when you get there plus at every step on the way.
Ain't no shame in turning back if anyone finds it all too "interesting " even if you are within sight of the summit :)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I think john has a pretty good answer there. Head out and check out the tracks, pyg track or miners would be the best bet in the conditions there at the moment. I've bivouacked in worse than those, having said that I'm an experienced outdoorsman and climber. As already said. There is no shame in turning around and heading to Pete's. :)

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Cheers John, Davey.

Yep no worries re the general safety stuff. It was more Snowdon specific advice I was after. Sounds like my thinking was about right.

The main reason for considering avoiding the Pyg track was the recent avalanche and the met office advising ground conditions on those aspects remain at a high risk.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Took the watkin, but bailed out half way up the scramble up the last 500m. Seriously strong winds, no visibility. Hard walk but great.

Sea king was dropping a rescue crew off just as we came out of the cloud cover. :(

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Llanberis path. It's said to be the easiest path up there as its to too steep or sheer.

I have failed twice and made it up to the top the third time lucky. First time I think we took the ranger path. Got quite close to the top then met sheer rock face with patchy ice. No crampons, ice axe etc so decided it was too dangerous.
Second time we took the Llanberis path. We got about 3/4 way up and a friend just couldn't walk any longer through exhaustion. We saw lots of other people really struggling too. So although it's meant to be the easiest. It's still a long day and a very tiring walk.

Third time we made it to the top. Saw people on the sides of the path looking exhausted and really struggling. It was a wet, cold day. We had the right kit and made it.

I think this time of year, if the snow is about it, would be really, really challenging. I would want to be fighting fit, have the right equipment and experience for it too.

Good luck with it this weekend. I hope the weather is good and you have a nice time up. Every time I have been up its been too foggy to see anything!

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Llanberis path. It's said to be the easiest path up there as its to too steep or sheer.

I have failed twice and made it up to the top the third time lucky. First time I think we took the ranger path. Got quite close to the top then met sheer rock face with patchy ice. No crampons, ice axe etc so decided it was too dangerous.
Second time we took the Llanberis path. We got about 3/4 way up and a friend just couldn't walk any longer through exhaustion. We saw lots of other people really struggling too. So although it's meant to be the easiest. It's still a long day and a very tiring walk.

Third time we made it to the top. Saw people on the sides of the path looking exhausted and really struggling. It was a wet, cold day. We had the right kit and made it.

I think this time of year, if the snow is about it, would be really, really challenging. I would want to be fighting fit, have the right equipment and experience for it too.

Good luck with it this weekend. I hope the weather is good and you have a nice time up. Every time I have been up its been too foggy to see anything!

We went up the Watkin path, wanted a challenge. Great path, highly recommended. Definately the hardest route up and back down though I reckon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE