Snow Shoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
OldJimbo said:
Seems expensive to me. I just picked up a pair of regular snowshoes for the grand-daughter and a really big pair me me - $79 and $89 CAN. Yeah I live in Canada, but I'm as far away from Quebec as most of you.
Bearpaws are for doing jobs on well packed snow.
The problem comes up with just what sort of snow you're travelling on, total weight with pack (although a small toboggan or even a kids sled overcomes pack weight) - and whether you are the poor sucker breaking trail. Around here there's also the factor of super heavy snowfall which covers bushes and leaves air cavities. It's easy to be jogging along nicely on the new smaller high tech snowshoes (which are great) and suddenly disappear. Even the old lampwick bindings still have their place if a person crosses places where they might go through ice.

OldJimbo, yours and Hoodoo/Jeff's link are great and these are what I'm after but the import tax with be as much again in pounds, Normally I'd get Zackary to send me them from Toronto as a gift but he is over here in UK at present so I can do that.

Anyway thanks for all the info guys! Top bananas.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Abbe Osram said:
I emigrated to sweden so I was not here in the army, but what I saw in the army shops are only the small alumin bear pats. They are no good.
The swedish army uses mainly ski, very long and and broad. But I like more snowshoes. (Good onces) :wink:

cheers
Abbe

The swedish army uses two diffrent kind of ski´s, one that are long and one that are shorter. The ski´s are known as "The white flash" or "Vita blixten" as we say here.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
bothyman said:

Chers Bothyman - I would if the Snow walker book is a reprint of the winter wilderness companion - I hope not it, gets on my nerves the way they keep releasing the same book with a differnet cover, Old Mears is terrible for it, and on UK amazon you can't see the pages before you order so you dont know.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I am afraid it is but I have heard that they worked putting new stuff into it.
Would be nice to hear from someone who bought both books.
I think that book is one of the best for winter bushcraft. I have another great one called: Winter Wise Travel and Survival in Ice and Snow. I believe if you buy these two books you don't need more, they are so great and don't copy from each other. I love the Winter Wilderness companion and thought it is perfect until I found Winter Wise, there I found a lot of great info and building plans for things I missed in the wilderness companion. If I only could buy one book so I still would go for the Winter Wilderness companion. Anyhow get both books and you will have plenty to do. :p

cheers
Abbe

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Abbe Osram said:
I am afraid it is but I have heard that they worked putting new stuff into it.
Would be nice to hear from someone who bought both books.
I think that book is one of the best for winter bushcraft. I have another great one called: Winter Wise Travel and Survival in Ice and Snow. I believe if you buy these two books you don't need more, they are so great and don't copy from each other. I love the Winter Wilderness companion and thought it is perfect until I found Winter Wise, there I found a lot of great info and building plans for things I missed in the wilderness companion. If I only could buy one book so I still would go for the Winter Wilderness companion. Anyhow get both books and you will have plenty to do. :p

cheers
Abbe

Whose the author of Winter wise Abbe?

Hoodoo said:
Jeff, I picked up a pair of these maybe 6 weeks ago. I bought the Ojibwa style. I haven't used them yet but they are exremely well made. I am very impressed with how well they are put together. Unfortunately the snow has not been deep enough around here yet for me to try them out.

I think you will like them. The tails keep them tracking straight and true. The up turned and pointed toes are great for getting through light brush. I would not trade mine for any other style. By the way...too little snow is not unfortunate... :wink:

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
I use air force surplus magnesium snow shoes on sft snow and they work great!!! readily available at mil. surplus outlets in u.s. and under 70$u.s. these are very tough snowshoes that will last a lifetime, I can't say enough about them. for they're size they are very light, if anyone wants site add.s shoot me a message, I have at least a dozen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE