Snaring rabbits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Now I know little about snaring wabbits but was wondering how confident one can be at not snaring a non taget species?
The reason I ask is there is a fair chance that in the hear future I could have permission to dispatch a few rabbits but worry about catching something I dont want to! I would be gutted to find a fox or badger:nono:
Now I know that the noose would be smaller for rabbits but has any one who uses snares caught anything other than the target species?
Dave
Please dont think I just going to go out willey nilley without looking into this further its just an option Im looking into.:rolleyes:

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
i recomend lamping dont like the snaring method tomuch myself a friend of mine once found a cat in one he set up.
check ,johnjayrambo, videos out on youtube he knows he stuff on traping and snaring

Speak to a local landowner (You'll need to have permission to snare on land anyway). Most if asked would be quite happy to take you out and show you what you can and can't do. Speak to a gamekeeper or outdoors shooting / country sports organisation about suitable training.

Learn your habitats and local species. Whilst it never guarantees, it does help reduce significantly the risk of catching a non targeted species.

You wont get a fox or badger in a rabbit snare.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
If you set your snares correctly on rabbitt "runs" the likelyhood of catchin other species is limited. Checking frequently is the key 'cos you are more likely to have a fox eat your catch - than get caught!!!!

Cats can be an issue near habitations - take a long walking stick to help free any stray cats (I guarantee that you won't be able to get near the mad & furious ball of fur, teeth and claws)!!!!! especially if you get a feral cat - it's unusual to kill one as they don't bolt like rabbits!!! But once caught they sit and sulk and wait to tear you apart when u turn up!!!! LOL

shamal

Mar 13, 2010
Bolsover
As Knifefan says if you study your target area properly you will find the rabbit runs and time spent doing this will show you where other mammals have passed so lets youplace your snares with more confidence,, preperation cannot be rushed

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
Various species can use the same runs, avoid using snares anywhere near residential areas as cats regularly use rabbit runs especially if your snaring a fence line. If you are in any doubt then avoid fences and snare on runs further out in the open. I've done quite alot of rabbit snaring over the years and only ever had one miscatch and that was a fox in a fence snare. I'd been running a snare line for several days and had lost some of the rabbits to a fox. I assume it was the same fox coming back and looking for more so i wasnt terribley sad to have dealt with it. Snaring is a bit of an artform and takes a while to learn, its alot easier to be shown than try and work it out for yourself so try and find someone to teach you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE