SMK air rifles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
i hunt in famland so my ranges are frequently 40 yards and i need a good hard hitting flat trajectory pellet
what rifles do you shoot with?[/QUOTE]

I use the Air Arms Diablo hunter in my Lightning and they are great for rabbits at 40 yards.

The penetration is good and you get a good flat trajectory. They also transfer energy really well at short range as some of the local grey squirrels found out.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Anyone here got any experience of the FAC Lightning in .22. Is the accuracy much worse than the 12ft/lb model? Any other comments?

hey there,
as the rifle is made in england the rifle is designed to cope with 12ft/lb and not much more, i would not recomend upgarding the power to an FAC level in a lightning as it does cause the accuracy to suffer and it will not shoot very smoothly, its much better to keep it at sub 12 ft/lbs as it shoots better and its perfectly capable of taking a whole manner of small game. if you want an fac springer may i suggest theoben as many of them are designed to handle such power efficently, a cheaper option would also be to buy a rimfire rifle.

ATB
josh

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
I have a SMK Custom Carbine Hunter XS19 for close-range light work and it's been okay for me; but as their most expensive rifle that's what I expect.
I don't expect my SMK to be accurate at long range; you do really get what you pay for when it comes to air rifles.

i found my smk 19 fine for close range ferals, 15-20 yrds, its ok if you only shoot ocasionaly, but if you shoot every other day (like me) i would suggest getting a better make, there rifkes seem to vary in quality, ive never heard of any serious problems with your rifle.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
hey there,
as the rifle is made in england the rifle is designed to cope with 12ft/lb and not much more, i would not recomend upgarding the power to an FAC level in a lightning ...snip...

Thanks for the reply :) , but I'm not exactly "upgrading". I have a choice of two Lightnings to buy here, the 11.5lft/lbs model and the FAC 16ft/lbs model. Both manufactured to that spec by BSA, and available off the shelf. Are you saying that the FAC model BSA make isn't really up to the job?

(I did look at the Theoben Eliminator option last year, but didn't go for it in the end, after hearing some people really struggled with the accuracy (it's something like 28 ft/lbs).)

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
I think the lightening at 16 ftlbs should be fine, couple it with a slightly heavier pellet and it should be good at range.

All the best

Drew

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Thanks for the reply :) , but I'm not exactly "upgrading". I have a choice of two Lightnings to buy here, the 11.5lft/lbs model and the FAC 16ft/lbs model. Both manufactured to that spec by BSA, and available off the shelf. Are you saying that the FAC model BSA make isn't really up to the job?

(I did look at the Theoben Eliminator option last year, but didn't go for it in the end, after hearing some people really struggled with the accuracy (it's something like 28 ft/lbs).)

I appreciate it's not exactly the question you were asking, but I would suggest looking at .22LR. The main reason air rifles are so popular over here is heavy restrictions on anything else (and air rifles over 12 ft/lb). Hunting-level accuracy should never be a problem for a .22LR and there's basically no recoil to deal with. The rifles are cheaper and easier to fix if/when they go wrong. Ammunition is cheap (you could have a major knife-related accident and still count the cost in pennies on one hand) and readily available, even in this country. You get about 100 ft/lb at the muzzle even with subsonic ammo and it's dead simple to add a sound moderator.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
I appreciate it's not exactly the question you were asking, but I would suggest looking at .22LR. The main reason air rifles are so popular over here is heavy restrictions on anything else (and air rifles over 12 ft/lb). Hunting-level accuracy should never be a problem for a .22LR and there's basically no recoil to deal with. The rifles are cheaper and easier to fix if/when they go wrong. Ammunition is cheap (you could have a major knife-related accident and still count the cost in pennies on one hand) and readily available, even in this country. You get about 100 ft/lb at the muzzle even with subsonic ammo and it's dead simple to add a sound moderator.

i agree, theres also no problem with springs of seals breaking, more powerful by far, less recoil, fac air rifles have horrible recoil, choice of semi automatic, more accuracy, cheaper in many cases, easier to upgrade and more attachments.
i dont see much pont in fac air rifles, get a .22 lr. spring air guns tend to be innacurate at fac level and have horrble recoil.
good luck

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Thanks Matt and SiberianFury. The purpose is for shooting crows and magpies around farm buildings. The .22 LR works fine when we shoot away from these areas, but in and around the cowsheds something else is needed. I have an old BSA Airsporter which is great - around 12 ft/lbs and very accurate, and an FAC Hatsan - which is absolutely dire on accuracy but is more effective on bigger birds. I wanted something which combined the two :)

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Siberianfury, excuse my ignorance if you have already mentioned it but can I ask what rifles you own?

hey there :),
i currently own:
1 BSA cadet .177 from 1951, ive had ths rifle since i was 8 as did my father
so ts kinda a family heirloom.
1 BSA Cadet major .177, a larger version of the cadet with nasty sights, its my spare plinker.
1 BSA LIGHTNING in .22 with a 4x32 scope, brilliant little peice of kit, can hit a 5p coin from 30 yards, and running at around 11.5 ft/lbs.

2 SMK 19-18's in .22 they were ok for general fun shooting and close range ratting untill they broke.

1 SMK xs36-2 underleaver in .22, i was so appauled by this rifle that i took it back as soon as i could, it had absaloutly no power, no accuracy, the scope rail was terrible and didnt grip my scope, you would me more affective hunting rabbits with a pointy stick! but thats another story.

I have yet to get an FAC as i dout my parents would be very happy, in a couple of years when i move out it should get done hopefully. i have fired a fair ammount of rimfire rifles and i would highly reccomend getting one if you have an FAC.

ATB
Josh

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Thanks Matt and SiberianFury. The purpose is for shooting crows and magpies around farm buildings. The .22 LR works fine when we shoot away from these areas, but in and around the cowsheds something else is needed. I have an old BSA Airsporter which is great - around 12 ft/lbs and very accurate, and an FAC Hatsan - which is absolutely dire on accuracy but is more effective on bigger birds. I wanted something which combined the two :)

hi,
if its around buildings and things, your airsporter should be up to the job, when hunting accuracy is far more important than power, your rifle is cappable of a kill out to more than 100 yrds, yet you have to hit it just right.
good luck!

Josh

M

mickyboy

Just got the smk co2 xs78 put a new hard breach washer in it, it is now 12fp uk limit my sights are set at 35 yards and it kills rabbits,rooks,est all head shots useing spitfire 22 pellets its a nice gun for the money £95,£40 for the sights. its as good as my airarms,or my daystate but after 40 shots it looses power but its a cracker of a gun for shooting in the field it looks like a rim firer very tidy gun......

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
I've been seing Norinco copies of crossman, and SMK springers all over the shop, and they look ok, but I wouldnt use them for hunting, I'd rather spend an extra £50 and get a BSA Lightning. SMK Deluxe20, £119, Lightning £170..

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Not so long ago I picked up a good use HW 80K. with hw silencer and a decent scope for £180, and that was from a gunshop. That's a lot of DECENT rifle for the money.

Dave

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Its a shame you didnt have much luck with your SMK...i have both the B2 and the XS19 which have both been tested and both pump out just over 11.3 ft/lbs. Both are relatively old (although i cant say how old the B2 is as i found it in the barn in the new place), but work fine...and are certainly enough for rabbits/pigeon/corvids etc.

That being said, i do know people who have had similar problems with them. One of the main complaints being the triggers as the creep can be horrendous.

What a lot of people dont realise though is that the likes of BSA and AA amongst others use standard CAMO parts - EXACTLY the same as some SMK and Crosman parts. I think SMK just have a wildly varying quality control process. I prefer shooting my XS19 than I do a friends HW100 (£800!!).

I think you were one of the unlucky ones...but you could say that about anything...

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
I think the thing is, if you'r just plinking in the garden then The SMK's are a good bet, but I dont trust either my B2 or Deluxe to get the job done. Maybe its just the price is giving me those pre concieved ideas.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
I think the thing is, if you'r just plinking in the garden then The SMK's are a good bet, but I dont trust either my B2 or Deluxe to get the job done. Maybe its just the price is giving me those pre concieved ideas.

you could always get yours chrono'd. My xs19 is my regular hunting rifle...and i am quite happy to drop bunnies, woodies and corvids upto about 45 yds. they drop dead and dont suffer. The fact is, a lot of air rifles are capable of dropping live quarry at a sensible range...yet few shooters are capable. I know a lot of people knock SMK, and in 'some' cases this is justified. I could bang on about my old BSA which was horrendous build quality, and a terrible thing to shoot. You dont have to spend a grand on a HW100 to have a capable hunting tool...

NikDarkwood

Sep 2, 2009
Hampshire
I use an early mk2 airsporter that's been in the family from new. It's mainly been used for wood pigeons. These days I also use a silenced Crosman ratcatcher converted to hpa. It also has a takedown stock courtesy of the button from a crosman backpacker.
But the gun I use most often and that takes out the most pests is a cheap Chinese one. The good old xs-bam-3-1 .177 with folding stock. Best £30 I've spent.

Oct 18, 2015
wigan
Hello all

Although I’m new to the forum I just wanted to comment on the beliefs that the SMK 19 is a very poor weapon. I can totally understand many people’s opinions and can concur that there is a few pronounced cases of poor manufacturing and certain things that would otherwise let a budget rifle such as this down.
However I feel compelled to defend what is potentially a fantastic little rifle. Some people are genuinely guilty of air gunning snobbery I know this having been guilty of this myself I am and always will have a huge love of old school Webley’s. They were well made and built to last and designed as hunting rifles proper work horses come rain or shine.
However our little XS19’s let’s take a look at the reality of it, they are a budget air rifle, plain and simple. They are NEVER going to be anything special out of the box, how could they be. But if you do a tiny bit of prep things like loss of power, unreliability can be totally mitigated. Like I said I was very “name bias” prior to being gifted with mine, I didn’t have much money so a friend was charitable enough to sell me his a good few years back and allowed me to buy it for a measly 40 pounds, he even let me pay for it in two payments as I was proper on my backside. He did say its “ok but not great”
As it was I lived on a farm in Tidworth at the time and the farmer was kind enough to allow me the freedom of the farmyard and immediate area to clean up rats, rabbits and feral pigeons alike. Well things didn’t go to well initially and I wasn’t that impressed and often cursed my XS19 until an embarrassing easy shot miss in front of said farmer. From the sound the rifle made alone and being a keen air gunner in his youth he asked if I’d had it apart and cleaned out any swarf, excessive lube’s de burred it and polished the internals. No was my answer, and he kindly offered to show me what would need attention. Now this guy being a farmer did actually take precious time out to show me what and how to do, so I followed what he said and cracked on.
The difference was quite measurable and the improvement was awesome, admittedly not in the mid to higher end BSA, Webley Springer league but pretty dammed good, group size improved, firing cycle a lot better and accuracy much improved. Over the 18 months I lived there I bagged plenty of bunnies with decent headshots out to as far as 30 yards and a host of corvids, rats and pigeons. I did all that with little more than household tools some scotch bright, some emery paper, some polishing cloths and a little bit of moly based grease. Oh and a little elbow grease, that coupled to putting in a home made piston sleeve was about it. That was without spending any money of a drop in kit or tuning kit. It lasted well and stood up to hunting in some pretty crappy weather and never missed a beat. Stupidly I sold the rifle in an effort to put money towards a car I needed to get for work, now my finances are much better I have a HW99S a Hatsan Edge and have recently purchased another used XS19 for little money, this time I will go the extra bit and spent a whole 23.99 on a servicing kit with spring guide, top hat slip washers, compression washers and proper molly grease, which will bring my spending total to about 70 quid.
I would like to think of the XS19 as the XR3I (older members will remember) of the air rifle world out the box they were OK but nothing special and had their faults, but spin a few spanners and tinker a little truly turned them into something that punched well over its weight, so please guys don’t be guilty of air gun snobbery as some people just can’t afford the big named rifles that most of you are harking on about, and truly why should they miss out.
I hope I haven’t offended anybody and we are all entitled to voice our opinion, heavens knows I spent 24 years defending our right to freedom of speech and freedom of opinion, but a little flexibility and adaptability will allow you a wider perspective on things and that can only be a good thing in the long run.

Regards

Phil Martin

Oct 18, 2015
wigan
I use an early mk2 airsporter that's been in the family from new. It's mainly been used for wood pigeons. These days I also use a silenced Crosman ratcatcher converted to hpa. It also has a takedown stock courtesy of the button from a crosman backpacker.
But the gun I use most often and that takes out the most pests is a cheap Chinese one. The good old xs-bam-3-1 .177 with folding stock. Best £30 I've spent.
Mate of mine uses a BAM 40 to great effect and gets some proper decent kills at 40+ meters bang on the button, spot on guns IMO.

Philmatuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE