Smidge that Midge V's Sweden!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
On the 10th of July, a small group of us went to Sweden for a week long Canoe trip near the province of Arjang.
Summer time in Sweden is beautiful with warm temperatures, long sunny days and scenery to die for. The down side to this is that you can be eaten alive by all the biting insects especially as we were wild camping just off the shoreline.
So with this in mind I needed something to keep all those blood thirsty bugs at bay and so I was on the look out for a repellent that was not going to dissolve everything it touched like some “Jungle Formula’s” can do and I wanted it to be user friendly.:confused:

So I contacted Dr Alison Blackwell regarding the product “Smidge that Midge” and she kindly sent me down a bottle just in time for the trip.:You_Rock_

I have to say the biting insects were not as bad in Sweden as I thought they were going to be but there were still plenty of them. The main culprits were Horse fly’s, Mozi’s and of course the MIDGE!.

After a fair bit of travelling we arrived at the canoe centre and before long I had got bitten by a Mozzy so it was time to fight back, I applied smidge to my skin that was uncovered and I have to say unlike some repellents its got a really pleasant smell to it and immediately the Mozzy’s were leaving me alone, they were still buzzing around but not landing or biting……So far so good!:rolleyes:

The following day we got in to our canoes and paddled to our first wild camp, so in preparation I sprayed and rubbed in Smidge again to all areas that were uncovered and once again the beasties that wanted your blood were Horse fly’s and Mozzy’s but they were leaving me alone…………And then it had to happen I got bitten by a Horse fly between my shoulder blades:(, but the beast got me through my Polo shirt. So from that day on, I sprayed Smidge under my Polo shirt as well and I have to say that was my last bite while using the repellent.:)

Considering how hot it was we were a bit sweaty with all that paddling and getting in and out of the canoes including getting wet ,so I was pleasantly surprised at how long it lasted during these conditions. I re-applied after about 4 hours, but for being around the camp it was working for about 6 hours.:D

I would say if you want a real alternative to Deet and all the other strong repellents which to be honest I find a bit scary:yikes: to use and NOT user friendly then Smidge that Midge works really well.:D

http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/

(nothing to do with the company just a HAPPYcustomer)

Last edited:

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Good review!
Recently in Scoland I got on really well with Autan. Same thing midgies all over my hands applied Autan and they all buggered off.
The only thing I cant comment on is how long it lasts as it was late when we arrived in Glencoe and early when we left.
D

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
sounds good, I'll be spending two weeks in Sweden next Summer, (in Kristianstad so quite close to the coast) with 40,000 Scouts at the World Jamboree.

Definately looking for a good mozzy repellant, now if I could find a combination mozzy/suncream/caffeine cream, I'll be set.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE