Smart phones low budget on pay as you go - any recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I need to replace my O2 phone (not sim just phone) and would like something nice and gadgety. I would like it to take viewranger if I get spare cash I'd like to get that too. Anyway I'm desparate as I can't use my broken touch screen phone (screen brokent). Being without a mobile is hard for me which surprised me by how dependant I am on it.

Anyway I like the idea of downloading apps (done a few freebies with work BB) but can't afford a iphone so leaves android phones I think. I have a low budget, well as low as I can get away with to get something half decent but not too expensive if you follow me.

I am totally at a loss as to what is a good phone I have absolutely know idea. Probably the only gadgety thing I can say that about.

Must be O2 and available on pay as you go. I only spend about £10 per month at the moment on average so is not worth going for a contract to get a good phone. For example £35 per month for 24 months to get a free iphone or android phone equates to £600. Not cost effective.

I know some on here are technophiles so please help!! Did I say I am desparate without a phone.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Tesco are doing a deal with a new Nokia smartphone for around £20 a month, but remember, every little helps. :lol:

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Oh, I didn't read the Pay-as-you-go bit, sorry, if you look around you are sure to find a cheap smartphone that you can put an O2 sim in for it.

Cheers

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
i recon buying a bb is your best option, simply for the fact that even on pay as you go with orange, you can pay a £5er a month to have bb internet package as well. because of the way that bb's compress data, it means you have unlimited/uncapped internet usage for email, google maps, general internet, app downloading blah blah blah. that way you never get any extra charges and can do whatever you want without having to worry about the costs....

then you can just use your regular pay as you go for the phone and text side of things....

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
If you buy from a company such as Carphone Warehouse the phones are SIM free, this means you can stick any SIM in it.

At the moment they are doing a promotion on the Samsung Galaxy Apollo. This is a quality Android smartphone for only £79.95 (that's less than half price).

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/SAMSUNG-I5800-GALAXY-APOLLO/PPAY

You have to buy a ten quid top up with it but you can stick any company's SIM card in it.

For ten pounds a month most mobile companies will give you some free texts and around 500mb internet. If you go with GiffGaff you get a super deal but you'll probably have to set up the APN settings yourself so you can go online.

The settings go like this on Android for those who are interested (I just had to do it for someone).

Giffgaff Android settings
Press the Menu button, then click Settings icon on the Screen.

Click down arrow next to 'Wireless controls'

Click down arrow next to 'Mobile networks'
Click down arrow next to 'Access Point Names'
The complete:
Name: giffgaff
APN: giffgaff.com
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: giffgaff
Password: password

Leave everything else as it is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE