Small Portable Firebox/Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beech Nut

Forager
Apr 27, 2006
Basingstoke
Folks

I have been working with some friends of mine to develop a small flat pack firebox/stove. We are just about there, in fact a prototype was taken to the December Bush moot by andyn and some of you may have seen it. A couple of suggestions on improvements were made and we have now put these on the latest model. Below are some pics of the item before the updates. basically the latest version is slightly wider to accommodate a 12cm billy can and has more air holes along the sides to allow larger pieces of wood to burn easier.

They are all Stainless steel and VERY well made. You can choose to have the top plate on, with or without a chimney, or remove the plate and attach the rack (great for toast). This is just to suss out who would be interested in one of these, as I think they would make a very useful item in your kit. I am making no profit on these and if I can get 20 of you together can get them at £40+postage each.

Feel free to ask questions.

Jon
firebox4.jpg

firebox5.jpg

firebox2s.jpg
firebox3s.jpg

firebox4s.jpg
firebox5s.jpg

Reactions: andyn

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
As stated, I had the chance to have a play with this at the winter moot, and after a minute or two remembering which bit went where and adding some wood I had a nice hot stove at hand. the chimney works really well and once fitted and heated up a bit starts pulling in lots of air to get some serious heat in the stove. Those around thought that an extra couple of air holes could have been benifical and this was one of the suggestions that went back (and acted upon from what i understand).

I then popped my 12cm billy on top and came to the quick conclusion...well 15 mins later, that because the billy was a fraction wider than the stove it sat up on the edges and didnt make contact with the top plate. so the temperature of the water stayed relatively low. Jon Pickett lent me his 10cm billy which fitted fine and as soon as the water was poured in, it started hissing and was soon to the boil. This was the second observation, as the 10cm billy isn't that versile so we suggested that the stove was widened to accomodate a 12cm billy (again a change i believe has now been made).

Overall it was excellent quality of construction and with the cnages that have now been made i think this is a very versitile and long lasting stove.

My only other bit of critism is on its weight,I would guestimate that they weighed about 2kg, but its a weigh off (no pun intended) with quality of materials, and its one that i'd be happy to live with.

P.S not envolved with the company, just asked if i'd like to try it out.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
scoops_uk said:
Do I get commission?

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=14511

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=15468

That's identical (bar a detail or two) to my posted design back in August. What did you do tweak my CAD file and send it to a cutting firm. :(

Not at all impressed.

Scoops

LOL...of course mate, you can have as much as Beech nut is getting...none. :rolleyes:

Don't fret so much matey. From what I can see this isn't about a designer making money its about making a good design of woodstove available to the members of BCUK who havent the time/tools/materials to make there own. As Loz says, the basic design is available freely elsewhere.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Which is why I made my design freely available to everyone, as Nimblewill did, and credited my inspiration by calling my stove "The Modified Nimblewill" and referring to the original in my posts.

As against:

"I have been working with some friends of mine to develop a small flat pack firebox/stove."

Which gives no credit to anyone other than themselves.

Scoops

Reactions: Wayne

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
andyn said:
LOL...of course mate, you can have as much as Beech nut is getting...none. :rolleyes:
I'm quite happy with none, as I said to Loz I was the first to admit when I was basing my stuff on someone else's ideas. I did everything I could to make my design freely available to anyone who wanted a go. I even made the CAD file available for people to modify.

I'm also entirely happy for someone to sell the stoves here for non-profit.

But, I think claiming something as your own when it's obviously based on Nimblewill's original or on my own alterations is a poor show.

Do I feel like sharing my future progress? Is it in the interests of sustaining this great online community?

Make up your own mind.

Scoops

P.S. I've said my piece now, unless I'm asked a direct question I won't be saying any more.

Reactions: g4ghb

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Was chatting to Andy about this at the moot. Glad to hear the modifications have been made.

Count me in. :)

Bushwacker

Feb 21, 2006
Basildon Essex
very similar to the nomad firebox I got from C,Randall @ SOTP. and they work very nicely thank you. Make a small spacer for a trangier to sit on and it`s even more versatile.

Beech Nut

Forager
Apr 27, 2006
Basingstoke
Scoops

I have Pm'd you ref your concerns on design. Woodlandedge are the people who make the stove and I am not part of the company. They basically said if I can get 20 people to gether they will sell the stove for £40.00 I am not part of woodlandedge and getting no money out of this. It is in my opinion no different to any other group buy set up on this forum.

Regards

jon

Beech Nut

Forager
Apr 27, 2006
Basingstoke
I think I had better post ref the design. My original post was hastly put together and as such I did not spend a lot of time on the subject of design. When the idea of creating a Stove was put to me, a lot of different stoves were looked at. This included Scoops stove. Over a period of 3 months various designs were created and the best bits of each incorporated in this final version. I am more than happy to acknowledge that scoops design was one of the best we looked at and his version of this stove inspired the method of attaching the plates together, although adjustments were made to improve this even further.
I would like to apologies to scoops and any other person who can see aspects of their design in this stove, it was not my intention to miss this out, but my lack of time spent on the original post making sure I covered this subject.

This designed is significantly different from any other stove and as such the creators of this version are perfectly within their rights to produce this stove on a commercial basis.
Good design is good design (eg. woodlore knife) and if it works people will create their own version of it. I do however regret not mentioning Scoops design on my original post especially as he is a valued member of this community.

My humble apologies scoops.

Regards

Jon

Reactions: bambodoggy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE