slow match

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
hi guys does anyone know how to make slow matches what chemicals are used to keep them burning etc am going to try to make one but dont know where to start any help guys cheers...

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
You want potassium nitrate (saltpeter) KNO3. dissolve a couple of tablespoons in warm water, use a funnel to poor into a 2 litre pop bottle. top up the bottle to two thirds full with warm water. feed in some cotton rope (you can get 10m in a 2l bottle) and leave overnight. pull out into kitchen towel and then lay flat to dry turning occasionally. dont hang it up to dry as you wont get an even burn once dry. be careful to only use pure cotton rope and not the stuff with a nylon core.

you can buy KN03 on ebay, Amazon and from pyrotechnic suppliers. If i get time in the week ill post a tutorial to make a slow match casing from shotgun shells

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Three things I'd like to add, if you can get it without hassle linen rope works better than cotton ( but not so much that it's worth busting a gut about it) and some sash cord type rope is treated with a fire retardant so you may find it works better if you boil it up and discard the water a couple of times first to remove it. Lastly once treated with the KNO3 the stuff becomes really hygroscopic and will pull moisture out of the air like mad so sort out a air tight tin or similar before you make it.

Atb

Tom

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I use an ice cream tub ~ stick the lid back on for next time ;) . Plenty of other things can be salt petered ~ birch polypore goes from a nice and sedate smoulder to a rapidly growing fizzing 'Holy Holy!' ember :rofl: .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I forgot to mention that I add 'a good dose' of vinegar in my mix. IIRC vinegar is supposed to aid the uptake of salt peter into the dipped material.

And, judging by the effect on my drying rack, I'd suggest refraining from using metal* receptacles ~ salt peter aids oxygen up take, so steel rusts et.c and, in addition, I'm not wholly sure whether any metal transferred to the slow match might have any detrimental effect :dunno: .

* I'd certainly avoid introducing lead into the mix! (For research purposes, have a look at leading slow matches ~ link)

... tried ice cream tub, spilt ice cream tub,

:yikes: One way or another something got very clean :yikes: . I've had the same tub going for a few years, it just shows how some techniques for some and not for others :cool: ~ have you seen a larger piece of salt petered polypore ember up then .... :eek: :lmao:

It's almost the season ... I wonder what a full polypore would do if treated? :yikes: :evilangel: (I'm thinking of the drying properties of what could be considered to be a large ember)

+1 on the polypore, great fizz bomb hot ember

Quite a joyous shock first time, isn't it :rofl: .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE