Sliding knots

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm drawing out "how to" sheets for making chokers and bracelets from leather thong, waxed cord and the like. I usually do a kind of sliding reef knot to tie both ends to the main loop and this allows them to slide and make the piece adjustable and easy put on.
I've got some rather lumpy linen and silk string that I'd like to try and my knot bites in if the cord isn't smooth.
Does anyone have other way of doing this? Maybe a site that shows the knots ?

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sandbender, that one's the one I use when I'm making them myself but when I've got 200 odd to do with children it's just too difficult to explain....nice clear illustration though, thanks :)

atb,
M

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I would suggest the " double fisherman " See Animated knots by Grog and look under
Climbing knots. I use this knot on all my thongs and cords where adjustment is required and find it does not bind too tight and is therefore easier to slide when you want it, but
holds well enough at the correct length as long as there is not a lot of strain on the ends..
When the two knots are pulled together it is one of the strongest knots you will find. It is
also great for tying slippery material like nylon fishing line, or some of the slippery synthetic cords. when using on fishing line you wet it before drawing it tight.
Hope this helps. If Grogs animated knots is not clear enough perhaps one of the knot books would be better. If you go along the numbered squares in grogs knots it takes you by stages, but is more difficult than being shown the knot by someone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE