Sleeping with blankets - A pictorial lesson.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Many people have shown an interest in blankets of late, many of them being interested in good old fashioned heavy woollen blankets. With the advent of the sleeping bag though, many people do not know how to sleep with a blanket outdoors, and hopefully with the coming summer and the current interest in sleeping in a blanket or two, I can go some way to redressing the situation.

The following pictures have been taken indoors mainly due to the fact that it is a rainy and haily day outside and we are struggling to find things indoors to keep us occupied! Hopefully, when the weather peps up a bit, I will be able to update this photo tutorial with pictures taken where I would have have liked to have taken them, in the woods by a fire.

Sleeping in blankets in this way is very warm, the use of a poncho as a rain cover isn't quite as traditional but a lightweight canvas tarp could be used instead, or the shelter created above you and a fire lit a good adult sized stride and a half away from your bed. This shows the basic method of encasing yourself in wool, although it isn't as easy as it looks when you are wrapping yourself up so try it before you need to rely on it! I find it easiest to wrap my legs and then lay down and sort my upper body out.

Anyway, your swag will be packed something like this:

0804050028.jpg

And once you roll it out, you lay your blankets like this:

0804050030.jpg

First one has been placed so that when it is folded in half it will all be in one half of the ground sheet/poncho. The second blanket will overlap so that when it is folded in half it will sit in half of the first blanket and exactly where the bottom half of the poncho will be! Army blankets are good for this as they have the stripe running down the very centre of the blankets. Sounds confusing, but read on and all will become clear!

0804050031.jpg

What you then do is lay down on top of the lot. Make sure you have your boots off if you don't want to wear them, that you are wearing the clothes you wish to sleep in and that you have everything sorted before you start as once you are in, it is a pain to get back out and in and out and in....etc! The blankets have been folded over at the top because my lovely assistant, Jo'anne, is a shorty! You can put spare clothing and the like under the blankets to form a pillow if you like, the old tramps used to put their shoes under there as well!

0804050032.jpg

You take the top most blanket and wrap it over yourself and tuck it in. Then, you flip the excess blanket at the foot end on top of your feet.

0804050033.jpg

This is what the foot end should look like:

0804050015.jpg

Then you do the same with the other blanket:

0804050034.jpg

As you can see, the blanket has been tucked in and now all sits on the left side of the poncho. This now gives a portion of the poncho to wrap over the top and keep the wind and rain out (or the wind in if you had cowboy food for dinner!) Note that this time, the spare blanket at the foot end is tucked under your feet.

0804050016.jpg

You also do the same with the poncho, tucking under your feet and this will keep any rain out. If you have a bergan with you, place it down your side to act as a wind break (another cowboy joke moment!) or you could use a log. This will stop you rolling away from the fire if you use one, but you should also use something to stop you rolling into it. A few large stones placed in a row would be useful.

0804050035.jpg

Try not to create too big a shadow between you and the fire or you will be losing the heat. Saying that, this is on a stone flagged floor and Jo'anne said she was warm when I know that that floor is icy cold most of the time.

the spare poncho at the top can be used to create a sort of hood or you can throw the lot over your head and probably prop it up with a stick if you really wanted to!

0804050019.jpg

Hope that will inspire a few people to sleep with a blanket this summer, by the fire or in a hammock, blankets are great. When used this way, you get a very warm traditional sleeping system that doesn't suffer as badly as down bags when it is wet! They are a bit heavy though.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Do you know when I was camping at middlemud, I was wriggling myself into the sleeping bag in hammock, and i was thinking wouldn't this be far easier with two wool blankets. They pack down as much my old sleeping bag and I sure I won't be cold in them.

Thanks you must of read my mind.:You_Rock_

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The hardest part is getting your shoulders in I think! I tend to sit up as i wrap up, then lay down and pull the last bits into place. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Great demo, though I wonder how quick you could get out if you needed to go to the loo,

by the way I hope the little actress got paid for her well played part

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Great thread!! nicely illustrated too.:You_Rock_

Does using blankets have any advantage over a sleeping bag/bivvy combo?

Dan

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Great tutorial Spamel and Joanne,
If you want to warm your flagstone floor, light your range ;) , looks like a real beauty!

ATB

Ogri the trog

I wish the range was in working order, but it isn't. the flue is blocked and metal cancer has set in deep down. It does look nice though!

Great thread!! nicely illustrated too.:You_Rock_

Does using blankets have any advantage over a sleeping bag/bivvy combo?

Dan

Blankets are better if you wish to sleep near a fire due to their resistance to melting onto your skin! Apart from that, not really, they are just a bit more traditional. Saying that, the ability to throw a blanket round your shoulders whilst sitting about is a great warmer of the body, you could do that with a sleeping bag but by the fire it may melt a bit! The coming seasons are gonna see me ditching my sleeping bags and trying to go back to a more traditional way of doing things.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Hi Spamel

Good tutorial, thanks for that. Just one point.
I note you used a child in the tutorial, I am 6' 5" how would it go for someone my size, how much space do you have on/in those blankets.

When you do the outdoors pictures, any chance of a large adult doing it to show us how much blanket you acctualy have to tuck in.

thanks for that.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Yeah, you will struggle with being so tall! I can get into those blankets just fine, you notice I tucked the top edge over or else I would have been folding the blanket under Jo'annes feet, legs bum and then her head! :D I'm 1.75 metres tall and it tucks under my feet about a foot or so. It may be worth your while folding the blanket on a diagonal and trying to juggle it that way or find a double blanket and trying to get that to work. I never considered the ultra tall amongst us, sorry!

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
Awww - she's so cute all bundled up in there!!
Thanks for the post - I'll probably even use this when I'm boarding at school - those rooms getting friggin freezing and there are loads of woollen dusty old blankets on top of the cupboards..

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I'm 6'1", and the wool blankets I use all the time are 6' to 6'6" long. You do have to get a bit ... creative ... to curl up in them. I fold my two wool blankets together in a pretty similar manner. And I tuck under the bottom a couple inches, and use blanket pins to hold it closed (like large safety pins). That way my feet don't poke through. I also tend to sleep on one side, and bend my knees. This helps me cover up a little better. But I only really need those blankets to cover up to my head - just over my shoulders. (Stocking cap and scarf cover my head) So the length is not that much of a concern to me.

Yes, you can do something similar by laying across your blanket diagonally. It's a classic way to stay a little warmer when using only one blanket. Your head rests up on one corner with your feet down towards the opposite one. Then you lap the rest of that opposite corner up over your feet. Now fold each side up over you - those other two corners. Your body core then has 2 layers of blanket over it, and your feet have at least one layer, but that double layer does extend pretty far down your legs. And if you bend your knees and curl up, you can get 3 layers over most of your body (especially with a large blanket).

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. The last time I rolled out my cowboy bedroll at the cattle drive (real similar but with thick canvas instead of a poncho), I woke up to a surprise with the morning sun. We bedded down late and after dark. The only light was the kerosene lantern on the chuckwagon. I bedded down over by with the trail boss by the firewood pile - using a chunk for my pillow. In the morning we found out that those small chunks from the firewood pile that we used for pillows weren't firewood! They were dried ... um ... road apples! Cookie had gathered some extra up in case he ran out of wood to cook with. Altho, I did have to admit that they were softer as a pillow than the firewood. Luckily, they were pretty dry. And since they were under our canvas bedrolls, the rain overnight didn't soften them up too much. So it goes when out on the prairie chasing cattle. It could have been worse - it could have been snowing! That coffee sure was good (and warm) at 4 in the morning in the dark. I don't know if it was any good, it just didn't matter at that time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE