Sleeping mat

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I have been considering making a mat to use with my hammock and/or tents etc. I was wondering about using a roll of the Foil radiator panels which are 50mm wide on a 5M roll. So I could double it for extra warmth and join it with tape, making a liteweight mat.

Or how about placing some in some black ripstop material?

my thinking is though, will it trap moisture?

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Even a Thermarest mat will trap moisture - I know I've got one. If you can afford to give it a go and not worry to much about the cost if it doesn't work well, then go for it and let us know how you get on :D

Otherwise, I'd recommend you do a bit of research into underblankets for insulation or weather-shields for wind/spray-proofing.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Whether you are in a hammock or tent you are going to be warmer than your surroundings. To a lesser or greater extent you will always get condensation whenever your warmth interacts with the cooler air or ground.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have been considering making a mat to use with my hammock and/or tents etc. I was wondering about using a roll of the Foil radiator panels which are 50mm wide on a 5M roll. So I could double it for extra warmth and join it with tape, making a liteweight mat.

Or how about placing some in some black ripstop material?

my thinking is though, will it trap moisture?

Yeah it will proberly trap moisture. I have used a wool blanket with a foil rescue blanket underneth, the wool kept the condsation off me but I found after two nights the bottom of the blanket was wet due to foil not letting the moisture go anywhere. I have slept on just a wool blanket in the warmer months without a problem, but in the winter it isn't enough on it own. Wool is not lightweight in any book. We all use lidl foam karrimats if we want light stuff, they cost a fiver each.

I saw some bubblewrap/foil insulating stuff in tescos. it was been sold for some DIY propose, I looked and thought it would make OK sleeping mats.

Good luck with your experiments.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
We used some of the linking square panels available in Costco as pads for picnics, I think theyre down as flooring for workshops etc, they're cushioned and insulated

Podcast Bob

Is it the trapping of air which keeps you warm, which the bubble wrap does inside the foil layers, but of course the foil layers aren't breathable themselves.

I've slept on this material when adventure racing and it didn't give a very warm or comfortable night, however I've been playing with my new DD Hammock and reckon this might be an ideal solution in this configuration, to slot into the sleeve beneath me.

The fact that it is lighter and less bulky than the alternatives, and can be cut to any shape with scissors make it a positive for me, plus it can be folded away easily. The primaloft blankets are another idea, but they are expensive and bulky, so this could be a cheap lightweight alternative.

Any type of hammock camping will cause some damp, so surely it is jut a case of airing your bedding when you have chance? It's worked for me in the past in all the other forms of camping.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
there is a simple answer you know and that is tow by a snugpack elite softie 10 -50 comfort zone sleeping bag cos then in this country you will always be warm.

I can't quite understand you, a 10 to -50 comfort sleeping bag called snugpac elite softie (tow)?

Making your own gear is cheaper, funner, and a challenge. Plus, if you build it, you know how to fix it.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Go for the making :You_Rock_ if it doesn't work, try try again and then you can always buy/borrow one if you need to :D

I've not made on from scratch but years ago we did buy mats and chop them into bits so that we could sew them into fabric and they all fold up nicely now so we can use them for seats with a back, sleep on them, use them for packing protection etc. Made them much more versatile than a roll.

Make it, keep a record and picture and let us all know how it's going as you progress.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE