Sleeping bag with arms?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Does anybody know where I can get a quality sleeping bag with arms? I have one of those German army sniper bags:

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr1187.html

I use it without the waterproof cover. It isn’t warm but I find it very comfortable. It is great to be able to “sit up in bed” and read and do other things. You can even crawl out to go to the toilet with them. The main problem is that it is very bulky and heavy.

thanks

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've no idea but it's an interesting concept. I'd never seen one before.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I'd find something like that useful or comfortable.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
East Scout said:
Those arent sniper sleeping bags but rather just sleeping bags w/ arms....Austrians make one too..

ES

Well I'd feel a lot safer sneaking up on someone with a gun who was in a mummy sleeping bag and saying BOO than on someone in the one with the arms

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Err, you could try a selk'bag...

selk.jpg

but more seriously, the Nanok SF series have zips down both sides so that you can stick your arms out while in the bag.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
anthonyyy said:
Well I'd feel a lot safer sneaking up on someone with a gun who was in a mummy sleeping bag and saying BOO than on someone in the one with the arms

Do you often sneak up on people with guns in sleeping bags? :confused: Must be a new "extreme" sport :D

On a more serious note, I like to sleep with one arm onder my head and really dislike the mummy bag "pinned in" feeling - if Nanok did a variation that hard arms, I'd buy one in a shot

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
led said:

selk.jpg

but more seriously, the Nanok SF series have zips down both sides so that you can stick your arms out while in the bag.
That looks good - is there a UK source?

Red

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
led said:

Those selk bags look a bit extreme. I just want an ordinary bag with arms like Red said. The Nanok SF goes a bit in the direction I'm looking at.

If that German army bag (without the plastic cover) werent so huge it would be perfect. I would put up with being a little colder for the extra comfort. You can always don a jumper and gloves if it gets cold.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I wonder what it would cost to get a seamstress (or seamster) to sew arms onto a sleeping bag?

I have a down coat that I never use and a (good for the price) Aldi sleeping bag. They might just go well together. Be a bit hard to do though on a bag that has a side rather than middle zip.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Somebody just pointed this out to me:
http://www.klattermusen.se/km_produkter/brage_magne.asp

"BRAGE AND MAGNE are sleeping bags that also doubles as a simple down jacket. On cold mornings I am always reluctant to leave my warm and cosy sleeping bag to start cooking breakfast. Not any more! I just put my arm though opening, put out one arm, open the zip under the Velcro flap a little and put the other arm out of there. Then you can sit up and prepare your breakfast. It is also possible to open the zip lower down, put out your legs and walk around."

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmm seems like the selk'bag isn't available yet - but I've mailed the maker - I'll let you know if I hear anything

Red

greeneggcat

Forager
Sep 9, 2005
wet wet gloucestershire
Hi you could try http://www.usmcpro.com/usmcgb/indexf.php?PHPSESSID=6c3e3e514664fba8f855860023b2712 its a carinthia wilderness, i though about getting one but they are not cheap!!
:eek:
Oops the link aint quite right, but just look under "equipment" then "bivouac" pick "sleeping gear" and you will get a list of bags just scroll down til you get to "wilderness carithia"

Its got arms and can be worn like a coat, but it might be too warm and coz it is hollow fibre not down it might be a bit heavy.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
That "carinthia wilderness" is just the type of thing I am looking for. At £190 it is way above my price range for the moment.

greeneggcat

Forager
Sep 9, 2005
wet wet gloucestershire
And mine, maybe try a regular search on evil bay with the name. I have seen carinthia products come up in europe and i have got some good bargains over the years. Good luck and happy saving ;)

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I might even sew just a right arm on a conventional bag. The easiest thing would be an arm from a fleece jumper - just pull the auld arm in when it gets cold. At any rate it would be warmer than half unziping a bag when you want to use your hands.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
As for the German army sleeping bags,

there are ok for summer use
or if wearing clothes prehaps spring or autumn, but you could get chilly!

they have quilting inside and are really quite basic, the hood has ear holes, if you sleep with your arms out there are no gloves so your hands get cold.

i would rate the bag for fishermen long distance winter drivers, or anyone that will be wearing clothes anyway.

i have used one and i think it's pants for anything else, it's got a heavy rubberised base, front and arms, which really add weight for little actual warmth.

some years ago a well known company called SASS made a pile liner to use in this bag for winter and also a pertex cover. which obviously added more weight and serious bulk!

my advice if you want to get a decent bushcraft and weatherproof bag i use a Buffalo bag which has zipped arm holes, also it's pertex and pile fibre so excellent in cold wet wether, it also has an identical bag as an outer layer!

Buffalo sleeping system!

ss1.gif

It's been a big favourite in the army for years because, of it's advantages over the old 58'feather down sleeping bags, and use in muddy trenches and under leaky tarps!
hang on that sounds like bushcraft! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE