sleeping bag questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
i'm currently toying with the idea of adding another sleeping bag to my gear. it should fulfil the following criteria:
• synthetic filling (as my next destination will likely be in the tropics where its hot and humid)
•long-lasting
•value for money (as my budget is limited:rolleyes:)
• it will be either used by itself during summer or to extend the temperature range of my trusty Nordisk "Minima"
• should pack small enough to be carried in daypack

the snugpak jungle bag looks like it might fit the bill, but i'm open for other options, too.... .

i already had a look through the net for them and it seems that they can be had on amazon for as low as 50(US?!)$. what confuses me is that there seem to be different versions of the bag and that on the snugpak website they're shown in black and olive but on amazon in red ( :yikes: ) and sand colour as well---- are there fakes/cheap copies out there as well?!
the bags are described as "" 100% designed in the US"" (an ""argument"" which doesn't wash on me!) but as far as i know they're manufactured in a country which isn't exactly known for quality items-- how good is their quality and how good are the zips?!

how much warmer would the black bag be compared to the olive one or would the difference be too small to be of importance?!

thanks!

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
the bags are described as "" 100% designed in the US"" (an ""argument"" which doesn't wash on me!) but as far as i know they're manufactured in a country which isn't exactly known for quality items

Snugpak is a British company and the products are designed and made in the UK.

Have a look at the Carinthia Tropen, great bag and built in insect netting in the hood.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Not all snugpak products are made in the UK. Some are vietnam i believe (it's on the product's individual pages on the snugpak website, where it originates.).

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
The current British army Modular Combat Sleep System is made in Spain by FECSA. I've just bought 2 of the Medium weight bags and the liners to go with them.

I also have the Snugpak Jungle bag, which is also issued in lieu of the MCSS lightweight sleeping bag in some circumstances. I used it last weekend in my TW GH hammock. It's made in China but to a very high standard. The outer is diamond weave ripstop nylon and the inner is treated with an anit-bacterial so that it prevents smells building up with sustained use. It cost me less than £30 delivered. It's a good bit of kit as you can open in out and use it like a blanket. The mozzie net needs something to hold it up away from the face though. I don't use it as my (summer) hammock has one built in.

I also have the Snugpak Jungle bag, which is also issued in lieu of the MCSS lightweight sleeping bag in some circumstances. I used it last weekend in my TW GH hammock. It's made in China but to a very high standard. The outer is diamond weave ripstop nylon and the inner is treated with an anit-bacterial so that it prevents smells building up with sustained use. It cost me less than £30 delivered. It's a good bit of kit as you can open in out and use it like a blanket.

how good (or bad) does the zip look on it?! (= the fact that it can be opened and used as a blanket seems a bonus to me as it makes it more versatile....)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE