Sleeping bag liner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi, I Was just wondering, what is the point of sleeping bag liners? And are they actually worth getting? I Imagine that they make the sleepng bag much warmer. Also does a bivy make any difference to keep you warm or does it just keep the water/moisture off your sleeping bag?

Cheers

Bushcraftsman
i find that sleeping bag liners do contribute to the warmth of a sleeping bag, i used to use a cotton liner which made it a little warmer and then switched to a fleece sleeping bag liner which really adds to comfortable sleeping in the cold!
anther perk of liners is that it is easier to clean the liner of a sleeping bag than the entire sleeping bag.
In my experience bivvy bags also contribute to keeping you warm but not sure if it is just because they block the wind/ moisture from you
Sam

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I tried a silk liner once, but couldn't get on with it - I just found it twisted around me in the sleeping bag until I got so annoyed I had to get out and take it out.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Generally a sleeping bag liner if made from fleece, murcon or silk will add up to a season to a bag or about 5C in tempreture for the comfort zone. cotton ones really only keep your bag cleaner, but is still a good investment. if you ever go to a youth hostel or a dodgy hotel they are a necessity.

Bivi bags main purpose is to keep the rain/snow off you but generally keep the wind out too cause of their close weave or material that they are made out of.

I have a selection of different liners and a couple of bivi bags. my general preference is for a silk liner cause of its comfort and low pack weight and size and a diagonal zipped bivi bag cause i can get me and my kit inside zip it up and be dry not matter the conditions. if you get too hot you can open the zip a small amount and it still has a velcro strip (which can be silenced) to keep the seams dry but still allow you to ventilate yourself so that you do not get condensation inside.

N.B.

Always put your sleeping mat inside the bivi bag to sleep on or you could end up very cold if you slip off it and end up 10m away in a puddle.....I did the first time i used a inflating mat ;)

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Jordan,

I tend to take a fleece blanket with me, this seems to suit me better than a liner, although they are a bit bulkier.

Rob

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
I use a silk sleeping bag liner and a cheap bivi bag which both pack up really small, mostly for added insulation. Its just like clothing, Layers trap air and add warmth. I have found that a blanket does the best job under you, to increase insulation from the floor.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I always use a silk liner, mainly for the fact that I can be a bit grubby and smelly when I get into my bag sometimes and it's much easier to wash the liner than a down bag. I reckon it makes it marginally warmer as well.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Oh Yes !

For some reason much of my camping is in the winter, I actually prefer it, and the addition of a liner adds a season to most sleeping bags. Add a bivi bag too and the difference is amazing.

My personal recomendation is for the Snugpak offering, being clingy it doesn't seem to get as tangled as some can and keeps the warm air right next to the body.
Richard

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Oh Yes !
My personal recomendation is for the Snugpak offering, being clingy it doesn't seem to get as tangled as some can and keeps the warm air right next to the body.
Richard

Which type would that be? I'm thinking about a liner, but I hate getting tangled up inside. So something that would "stick" to the bag would help!

clanelliott

Oct 11, 2008
Glasgow
i have a fleece liner, and as i am vertically challenged this gives me a bit of space at the bottom, if i put a bit of kit in the bottom inside the liner (trousers with one leg inside the other then folded in half, if you know what i mean), or a stick with socks over the ends. then the liner twisting night fairy cannot do her job.
I also use a Alpkit Hunka XL bivi cover also great is the Alpkit fat airic self inflating mat, but its a bit bulky to go on a walking holiday with.

legin

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
Spalding
I've used a silk liner for twenty or so years. Negligible weight, saves washing the down bag and does marginally add to the warmth. I have not experienced any real problem with it wrapping itself round me as I tend to move the whole bag with me and not just me inside the bag.

Nigel.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
liner is cheaper than a new dossbag. the Snugpak fleece adds just over a season, gives you more options. also, very strechy material so very comfy.

never had the problem of getting tangled up, and have used a silk liner extensively...

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
I use a silk Jag Bag, its cheaper than cleaning a down bag so its a No Brainer in my book. Jag Bags are made in New Zealand but I've seen them on E-Bay for around £20, not bad for a silk liner.

Glen

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
DD Hammocks sell a silk sleeping bag liner (rectangular) for £11 delivered, here.

Blacks are selling the Lifeventure EX3 silk sleeping bag liners (rectangular and mummy) for £15 in store (not on their website). I bought one yesterday, and went back and bought two more on Monday.

The Lifeventure EX3 packs smaller than the DD version and uses a tiny draw pack, whereas DD use an envelope pack.

Lifeventure EX3 info, here.

Last edited:

GoatBoy666

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2005
West London
I use the snugpak fleece liner and have a silk liner also, both excellent for adding warmth.

Cant say I have found them twisting up, like some others.

Saves hassel of washing main bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE