sleeping bag help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chinook220

Forager
Jan 7, 2010
Warwickshire
I need a new sleeping bag I have read loads about man made or down filled. The two im now looking at are

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/62-Ray-Mears-Nanok-Sleeping-Bag-Osprey/

pros

price £115
centre zip
available now

cons
larger pack size
weight 2kg

or

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16416&category_id=286

pros

weight 1 kg
smaller pack size

cons
price 150
no known availablity

what do people think? anyone own either of the above, have experiences of the them

regards chinook

SBreen

Nov 23, 2009
Prague - CZ
Hi Chinook,
I have a snugpak softie 12 and 2 pipe-dreams (400 & 800) from alpkit. I used the softie for many years and really liked it the only thing that really bugged me was the pack size and weight. The two pipe-dreams are cracking, lightweight and really comfy the one bad part was the waiting (but it does speak volumes in regard to their bags that they're sold out in a matter of days when in stock). To add to this Alpkit have cracking customer support.

My personal preference would be to go Alpkit.

Cheers Simon

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I would go with the Alpkit as well, i have the Ray Mears Golden Eagle, and although its a toasty warm sleeping bag, i rarely use it, if im honest i find it too bulky and much prefer a down bag. If your fine with the pack size of the mears then it will be fine.

One advantage the Mears bag has is that it is GREEN, so its much faster that the alpkit bag, (any canoe guys will get that joke)

Colin

SBreen

Nov 23, 2009
Prague - CZ
My Alpkit 400 is much faster.

88e66023.jpg

Simon

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I had the Golden Eagle but sold it on only 'cos of the size when packed.

As said if you can live with that it'll be a great bag.

I've also went to down but not the alpkit ones, yet.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I have the Golden Eagle and I absolutely love it! The pack size is big but so is the bag, very roomy and extremely toasty and comfy, can't walk past it without feeling how soft it is :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE