Sleeping bag alternatives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I have a British army synthetic arctic sleeping bag - which kept me toasty this weekend when the temp went below zero.

The problem is, it takes up so much room in the pack - even with compression sack. I don't mind in the winter, it's a small price to pay, but want an alternative sleeping bag to use from spring to autumn.

It has to have a central zip, be comfy for a 6ft 16 stone chap (me:eek:) and keep me warm in the UK unpredictable weather - down to 0C ish.

Also needs to pack down smaller than the UK arctic army one.

I have seen the RM Osprey one, anyone here used one?

Cheers

James

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
During the Summer I never bother with a sleeping bag, and just sleep inside a bivvy bag, which packs away at about half the weight and size.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Preper - i live near the Snugpak factory, so might pay them a visit to check out pack sizes. The tactical 2 which seems to be about right packs to 24 x 24cm. using a compression sack i can get my Army arctic down to 25x30cm.

Unsponsored - i have had a look at the site, but cant find one with a central zip, as i'll be mostly in the hammock its essential to me.

Is there an army 3 season bag, with a central zip?

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
The best thing about the central zip 'special forces ' one is that it is a 'burst open' zip, very easy to open or close as opposed to the normal zip.

During the Summer I never bother with a sleeping bag, and just sleep inside a bivvy bag, which packs away at about half the weight and size.

You're a brave person. Up here that would be bordering on the dangerous. The coldest I've ever felt camping was in bivibag in a tent on Rannoch Moor in August a few years back. I felt colder then than I've ever felt camping before and I consider myself fairly hardy but believe me I almost broke out my blizzard bag! I think there's a HUGE difference in temp across differing parts of the UK. I once spent a few weeks in the Midlands one summer and couldn't believe the difference in night time temps between there and what I've ever experienced in Scotland.

I have used a snugpack underquilt as an alternative to a sleeping bag in a bivibag and it was fine. It's rated to -10 though.

WS

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I highly recommend the Nanok Endurance range. The 0c version packs smaller than the Woodlore Osprey which is made by Nanok too. The Osprey is a great sack. I can't praise them enough.

I highly recommend the Nanok Endurance range. The 0c version packs smaller than the Woodlore Osprey which is made by Nanok too. The Osprey is a great sack. I can't praise them enough.

I wouldn't recommend them at all. I've had the 0 and the -10 and had problems with them both. The stitching at the seams failed, the zips on the -10 were not sewn on straight and the stuff sacks split on both models. Nanok were useless with customer service. The ones produced for Ray Mears may be (and probably are) of a better standard, but I will never buy another Endurance model.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I wouldn't recommend them at all. I've had the 0 and the -10 and had problems with them both. The stitching at the seams failed, the zips on the -10 were not sewn on straight and the stuff sacks split on both models. Nanok were useless with customer service. The ones produced for Ray Mears may be (and probably are) of a better standard, but I will never buy another Endurance model.

I've only been using the Endurance for two years now, but found it well built and really tough. I've had the Woodlore Golden Eagle for about seven years plus and that is top quality kit.

I think Tony did a review of the Endurance in his Bushcraft mag and gave it a great write up. Time will tell I'spose. Overall though, I do prefer the Woodlore versions.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Id say go with the snugpak SF combo - i have been using one for a few years & cant reccommend it highly enough - the 2 season one will be long enough and it fits around my 48" chest (& 48"belly) if you need a little more shoulder then fit the expansion panel. It packs really small

Cheers
Nick

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Id say go with the snugpak SF combo - i have been using one for a few years & cant reccommend it highly enough - the 2 season one will be long enough and it fits around my 48" chest (& 48"belly) if you need a little more shoulder then fit the expansion panel. It packs really small

Cheers
Nick

How small? Roughly? Or a Photo?

I ask as I've got the Antartica . and thats quite a big bit of kit to pack away. The benefit of two interlocking smaller bags may be what I'm after.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
www.roberts.pl does custom jobs in down. A few orders of magnitude better than anything synthetic.

Smaller, lighter, warmer. And probably green if you have the need and ask politely. And don't give me any of this 'down is sensitive to moisture' BS, in reality, it's a non problem.

If you need toughness in a sleeping bag, you're doing something wrong.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Went out for 36hrs over last night, to test out a few items I have collected over the past few months (haven't been out due to work commitments) got back lunch time today ish...

I sold my army sleeping a couple of months ago (due to it not being warm enough) and bought the Buffalo Superbag and the 4 season liner. It rained all yesterday and all night, temp also dropped to 4degrees,

Only downside is both the new sleeping bags together, are roughly the same bulk ish as the army one. (Oh and the price is much higher) On the positive side its more plush on the inside making it comfier and definitely warmer by far... and I suppose in the summer I can half the weight by getting rid of the 4 season liner.

You can also compress them indefinitely, with out effecting there insulation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE