Sleeping bag advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Ive been humping my nanok -10 bag round with me for a while now and whilst in winter it keeps me lovely and snug the rest of the year is a little two warm and heavy/bulky.

So ive decided to invest in a summer/autumn type bag and would like it to pack small and not be very heavy but i dont want to spend a fourtune on another bag

so any suggestions folks or real life experiances on various bags

ps does any one use a fleece sleeping bag liner on its own during the summer months?
Im wondering if just buying a nanok fleece liner and using that for kipping in when the weathers in the warmer months?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have just replaced my old synthetic summer bag with a down model. The difference in pack size and weight made the extra cost worth it it for me.

Fjallraven Distance P5 XL
5769.jpg

Lightweight down filled sleeping bag. Reflective zipper pullers, chin protection, zipper snug guard to help stop snagging when opening and closing zip. comfort ratings plus 9 degrees Celsius for men and Plus 12 degrees for lady. Extreme minus 4. Weight 750g length 225cm, shoulder width 80cm foot width 52cm. Pack size 18x48cm

I have just used it on a course, with a silk liner, and am well impressed it.

I bought mine from Tamarack Outdoors (remember, Full Members get a 15% discount!) and as usual was well pleased with the service.

Simon

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
This sleeping bag has received good reviews on two outdoor Forums.

Spec's are:

* Yellow/grey colour.

* 2 way zip to couple.

* Nylon shell.

* Polyester lining.

* 90/10 down feather filling.

* Washable.

* Size (L)215, (W)chest 75, (W)foot 50cm.

Its also has a neck baffle with drawcord, chest and hood drawcord and a zippered inner pocket for watch, torch etc.

The photo is not for the actual model, the version I'm describing has a full length yellow front panel and hood top panel.

The quality of the bag is very good (I bought mine after reading favourable reviews, there's more reviews on the Argos website).

Best bit last...... Argos currently has these on half price sale at...... £24:44!

Yes, Twenty four pounds and forty four pence!

Go online and check your local stores as these are not in the new catalogue.

Edit: The weight in its compression sack is 950g, length is 300mm, dia' 150mm.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Cheers for the heads up dude

Do you have any pics of your bag next to objects to give an indication of size?
Do you have any idea how much it weighs?
And if im not getting too cheeky is there any chance of a link to the reviews that made your mind up to buy one?

Cheers dude sorry about all the questions

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been using a 2 season Vango nitestar for about the last 7 years, packs down tiny for a synthetic really. I tend to use it up until about the end of October then I switch to my Snupak Elite 4, then adding an underblanket when it gets a bit more nippy. Not sure what their equivalent is now but worth a look.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
This sleeping bag has received good reviews on two outdoor Forums.

Spec's are:

* Yellow/grey colour.

* 2 way zip to couple.

* Nylon shell.

* Polyester lining.

* 90/10 down feather filling.

* Washable.

* Size (L)215, (W)chest 75, (W)foot 50cm.

Its also has a neck baffle with drawcord, chest and hood drawcord and a zippered inner pocket for watch, torch etc.

The photo is not for the actual model, the version I'm describing has a full length yellow front panel and hood top panel.

The quality of the bag is very good (I bought mine after reading favourable reviews, there's more reviews on the Argos website).

Best bit last...... Argos currently has these on half price sale at...... £24:44!

Yes, Twenty four pounds and forty four pence!

Go online and check your local stores as these are not in the new catalogue.

Edit: The weight in its compression sack is 950g, length is 300mm, dia' 150mm.

My local store has one in stock

What two outdoor forums can i read other peoples views on them?
im interested because at £25 they could be a bargain or if not and i waste that amount of cash then i will be carrying the nanok for the rest of my life with the mrs telling me you have a sleeping bag why get another.

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
The size was in my post, Size (L)215, (W)chest 75, (W)foot 50cm, I've edited it to include the weight and pack size too. The weight in its compression sack is 950g, length is 300mm, dia' 150mm.

To be honest, never having used a mummy style bag, I really didn't think that I'd get on with it, then I read that a mummy bag is intended to turn with the user, I'm 6' tall and rather broad shouldered and I found the bag to be comfortable, additionally, I sleep in differing positions to alleviate pain in my spine and hip, yet this bag proved to be entirely practical.

For cooler weather I'll use a silk liner (DD Hammocks do them for £11) and for freezing point and below, I'll put this bag (with a silk liner) in my Technicals Transition 500R down bag, I'm also getting an Alpkit Hunka XL bivy bag.

These Cocoon 300's impressed me so much that I bought three, one for the van bag, one for my pack and the other for a 'Grab Bag'.

I have a (very large) database of suppliers, reviews, etc which is in alphabetical order, and I've not got a clue as to which sites these were on, only that I was able to make an informed decision based on what I read. I double bookmark sites into a pending file whilst I'm assessing an item, but once I've decided and bought it, I delete the pending file. Sorry!

Argos have a 16 day return/refund policy, so if it fails to meet your expectations, you won't be stuck with it!

If I have time on Thursday, I'll take a few photo's and post them on here.

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
sorry i must have missed them. Im going to pick one up tomorrow, i'll use this for my summer travels and the bigger one for my winter goings out

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
The size was in my post, Size (L)215, (W)chest 75, (W)foot 50cm, I've edited it to include the weight and pack size too. The weight in its compression sack is 950g, length is 300mm, dia' 150mm.

To be honest, never having used a mummy style bag, I really didn't think that I'd get on with it, then I read that a mummy bag is intended to turn with the user, I'm 6' tall and rather broad shouldered and I found the bag to be comfortable, additionally, I sleep in differing positions to alleviate pain in my spine and hip, yet this bag proved to be entirely practical.

For cooler weather I'll use a silk liner (DD Hammocks do them for £11) and for freezing point and below, I'll put this bag (with a silk liner) in my Technicals Transition 500R down bag, I'm also getting an Alpkit Hunka XL bivy bag.

These Cocoon 300's impressed me so much that I bought three, one for the van bag, one for my pack and the other for a 'Grab Bag'.

I have a (very large) database of suppliers, reviews, etc which is in alphabetical order, and I've not got a clue as to which sites these were on, only that I was able to make an informed decision based on what I read. I double bookmark sites into a pending file whilst I'm assessing an item, but once I've decided and bought it, I delete the pending file. Sorry!

Argos have a 16 day return/refund policy, so if it fails to meet your expectations, you won't be stuck with it!

If I have time on Thursday, I'll take a few photo's and post them on here.

Thanks for the info dude
Ive reserved one at my local store and hopefully collect it tmw.
Like you said if it isnt suitable for me i can just take it back for a refund.

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
picked it up earlier, packs away LOADS smaller than my 500gsm bag, this one seems VERY thin though. It's laid out on the bed for now to see if it puffs up a bit

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
I went and collected mine today

Damm it is light and packs very small it doesent look like it much and the first impression is that it may not keep you warm but looks can be decieving.
Ill try it out on an overnighter soon and let you all know how it performs.
I darent get in it to try it atm as its 30 deg c in the house and im already too hot.

To care for a down bag i take it it should be stored uncompressed and out of the bag? also what about washing it is there any special way?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Cheers dude and thanks for the link
It seems a sleeping bag liner would be a good idea.

I always use a silk liner.

They take up next to no room, have natural anti bacterial qualities that keep them smelling fresher for longer and weigh next to nothing.

Add to that the decandance of sleeping in silk whilst in the woods ...

Simon

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
To ensure a good loft after the sleeping bags had been in their compression sacks prior to purchase, I held them by the two suspension loops at the foot and gently shook them for a few minutes (with the zip fully open and the bags fully extended) I then suspended them by the loops for about 12 hours. Obviously, I did this one bag at a time!
happy0123.gif

The difference was evident!
happy0054.gif

I store my down bags full length, suspended by their hoops, it'll enhance their loft properties and extend their usable lifespan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE