Sleeping bag advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I'm looking to buy a summer sleeping bag, however the bag has to be quite roomy as the person it's for says they don't like being constricted by mummy-style bags and I'm not convinced a caravan-style square bag is a good idea.

I know this has been covered several times before, but I'm looking for some ideas of what's currently available.

It'll be occasional use and used outside and inside, i.e. in tents and under tarps/bivi's.

Many thanks.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Thanks decorum - I've seen those Selk bags(?) before - they look like fun though probably too warm for light summer use :D

I think what I'm after is a "semi-rectangular" sleeping bag - seems like a decent compromise between bulk and roominess - anyone have any recommendations?

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Cheers Wentworth, I have a Wanderingstar quilt that I use in my hammock, I suspect the person I'm buying for would prefer a bag though.

Does anyone use Kathmandu bags? I've found a decent looking one on their website.

The Uk forces issued at least two versions of a "warm weather sleeping bag", one of which is commonly known as a jungle bag, these are very small, rectangular shape, with an outside zip so that it can be undone and used as a blanket.

The other bag is what I have and it is a very lightweight central zip sleeping bag, called "bag, sleeping, warm weather", the one I have was issed to the marines to upgrade their old arctic bags, but it is in fact a single issue stand alon warm weather bag that folds to a tiny size and is a very baggy mummy shape. I bought mine for £40 of a surplus store online new, silvermans sell them for £100, but I've seen both bags for around £15 on ebay.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I know coleman do rectangular bags. Could check them out. I have a couple of Haglöfs bags which are roomy for me at 1.95 m (6' 4 3/4" ?) and 50 cms across the shoulders. But I have quite small hips and waist (81 cms in circumference), I suspect the person in question might be of the feminine kind, so the shoulders might not be the biggest part in circumference. Haglöfs are sold by tamarack I think. I had some issues with the quality of that brand, but it seems to have been taken care of nowadays. And some of them come in green.. The sensor range seems to be good value (pang for the pound so to speak).. I think it is comparable to the ones I have.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Mountain Equipment do some cracking bags, I have the TDS3 (3 season) and the sleepwalker 1. Although they're mummy style bags they have panels down the middle that are really stretchy, I can sit up crosslegged in mine, but when sleeping they're close enough not to get cold spots.

The TDS3 I'm going to sell but only for the reason that its too big for carrying comfortably compared to down bags.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE