Sleeping and bivi advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JamieA

Need to contact Admin...
May 22, 2012
Swansea, South Wales
Hi All,

I'm after a new sleeping bag as my mountain warehouse summit 300xl is just proving too big for my aspiring tarp, bag, mat and bivi setup. The reason I chose the summit xl was tge size as I am 6'1" and 19st so I am after something with plenty of room around the shoulders and 3 season. Also a pack size of 30x30 be awesome. Been looking at the Vango Ultralite 600 but not sure of how much room it will have. Also looking for a bivi if anyone can recommend one, have looked at british army gore tex one that looks roomy. Sorry for going on lol. Cheers Jambo

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have the British Army bivvi, and it is Hoooge. Plenty of space in there. I'm 5'7" and find it somewhat cavernous. I have the snugpak special forces sleeping bags, both the 1 and the 2, both are very roomy. Designed for your average squaddie, so should be big enough for what you want. The combo of BA bivvi and snugpak bag works really well for me. Very happy with it.

Downside of both items is they are not light weight. The bivvi is something like 700-800g, and the sleeping bag is about 1.7kg. The snugpak bivvi and the alpkit hunka bivvi are both lighter and cheaper than the BA one, but I am not sure how much space they have as I haven't used either.

J

JamieA

Need to contact Admin...
May 22, 2012
Swansea, South Wales
Cheers Q. Will take a look as weight not so much the issue but pack size is important as I can carry a wedge if u can fit it in lol.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hi Jamie, I'd second what Quixotic says.

The snugpak range are just what your after, I'm a big guy myself and find the Snugpak's to be a good fit for me. I have an Elite 2 for 3 season use, it has a Expanding Panel System built in which makes the bag that bit bigger across the chest. I also have the Softie 10 for winter use and you can buy the expander panels separately. These bags are pretty huge even without the panels in use palatial with them in action.

Regarding the bivvi I've used the British army bag for years great bit of kit, if a little on the heavy side. As mentioned Alpkit Hunka's are well regarded and they do an XL version.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I have the British Army bivvi, and it is Hoooge. Plenty of space in there. I'm 5'7" and find it somewhat cavernous. I have the snugpak special forces sleeping bags, both the 1 and the 2, both are very roomy. Designed for your average squaddie, so should be big enough for what you want. The combo of BA bivvi and snugpak bag works really well for me. Very happy with it.

Downside of both items is they are not light weight. The bivvi is something like 700-800g, and the sleeping bag is about 1.7kg. The snugpak bivvi and the alpkit hunka bivvi are both lighter and cheaper than the BA one, but I am not sure how much space they have as I haven't used either.

J

Another one for these 2 systems (Brit Army Bivi, Snugpak Sleeping bag) The Alpkit XL is still on the smaller side for me, Good to have room to shuffle around in.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE