Skinning tips for deer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
I have not read the hole tread but you need to bled by the neck asap while the heart is still pumping if possible sorry but thats the way it is, hang by neck and skin from the nether reagent up wards, don't brake into the belly untill you have to than you have to remove all all meat including 2 ins around any wound and all of the bottom meat
you can get some rub for under your nose that doesn't work, a good wind works better.

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
your talking about a small deer but a 12 pointer red deer 200kg needs to be worked in a different way, a winch or a tree and 4x4 is needed

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
your talking about a small deer but a 12 pointer red deer 200kg needs to be worked in a different way, a winch or a tree and 4x4 is needed

Don't get ones like that round here save for a few Sikas. Out of interest, how do the big uns get gralloched out on open land miles from anything?

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
We have a big problem with reds on farm land, they came deer farms that got released when there was no market for them so they have to be culled they do alot of damage and we can get farmers to help get them to the road side

I guess its time to come back out of "Lurk Mode", I've not had the pleasure of hunting deer in Britain as I was only 17 when I immigrated to Canada, but while here I have had done lots, I have been fortunate enough to take many deer plus a bull moose and a bull elk Any way my point is I've skinned a few. The sooner you get the hide off the better! In particular if it is very warm or very cold. If you cant get the carcass some were to cool it its important to get as much body heat released as possible so take its coat off. If its Below freezing the hide quickly becomes very hard to remove in particular on the lower legs so get that part done quickly. They can be skinned either hanging or on a table/ground either way you will find it much easier if you work from the head/neck down, When "opening the animal" try to make all possible cuts from the inside towards the outside so as not to cut hair which will dull your knife and get on the meat. If you have to move it somewhere after skinning it rap the carcass in an old bed sheet it will keep it clean and keep flies off if its warm out.

"how do the big uns get gralloched out on open land miles from anything" First off it really helps to have a friend around :) But that doesn't always work out. I always carry some para cord, now you hope the animal doesnt die with its legs under it and its body in a vertical position because they can be very hard to roll over. Anyway get the critter on its side then use the para cord to tie the topside legs up/back to a handy rock, bush or tree, this is were a friend is handy worst comes to worst use your shooting stick.The main difference between laying or hanging now is the contents have to be pulled/rolled out. Be VERY careful not to cut anything you shouldnt.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
After paunching and blooding, hang head down and cut length of belly and chest, then inside inside fore and hind legs. Use tip of knife to seperate flesh from hide, with tension on the hide and work your way around the whole beast, gradually removing. If a scout can do it...

roebuck009copy.jpg

roebuck011copy.jpg

Im so jealous of this you would not believe. I would love to do things like this with my Scouts But as ASL the SL has final say and he just wants to turn it into a football/rugby youth club.

And now back to the topic :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE