skinning permit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Reverend Graham

Life Member
Jul 2, 2012
Grimsby
I was talking to a local goat farmer a few weeks ago, he mentioned 'skinning permit' for farm animals, but didn't know where or anything about it. Does any one here have any info about this or has he mistaken this for a slaughter house permit ?

Rev G

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
To hold goats you need a CPH number. Movement of goats is controlled. Goat entering the food chain is controlled. Slaughter must be at an approved abattoir.

If you chose to slaughter and butcher one of your animals strictly speaking it has to be for your own consumption (not even your families)

There is no skinning permit.

Disposal of animal by products is the responsibility of the abattoir. I know particularly the skulls of animals over 12 months old are treated as potentially hazardous.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
We had a goatskin rug called Harry when I was a boy. Don't know if it was sprayed with something but no cat would ever walk on it and the dog refused to lay on it.

After Dad died I found it in the loft. Didn't know what to do with it so SWMBO gave the order to deep six it.

Bye bye Harry!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I asked if I could have some skins from a small abattoir in stoke. The owner said of course. I just needed to go for a induction week there learning health and safety and I could skip delve the blue bins all I want as long as I was suited and booted. Skip delving at an abattoir, tempting......no.

The jacobs I dried a few ago the cat wouldn't go near either. He was very confused when I hung it on the vacuum. He arch enemy had grown fur.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
To hold goats you need a CPH number. Movement of goats is controlled. Goat entering the food chain is controlled. Slaughter must be at an approved abattoir......

I understand the bit about the approved slaughterhouse; but what's the reasoning behind the rest?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suppose. I was wondering if maybe there was some goat disease I wasn't aware of that could endanger other livestock.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
These controls are a fall out from BSE (Mad cow disease) and Foot and Mouth.

It means we can trace an animal from birth to table.

Mostly.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Pretty much yes. Goats and sheep fall into the same category. They are all booked and tagged and movement recorded. I don't keep pigs but think the same rules apply.

Cows have routine Bovine TB testing and things. Occasionally movement restrictions are placed on farmers to stop the spread of something in an area.

It's all a pain in the bum but I can see why.

Doesn't apply to poultry and horses.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Interesting (and yes, understandable) We do place some limits on movement of horses (and "movement" includes leading or riding them anywhere off your own land; even if you just cross the road from one pasture to another and you own both) For movement to be legal you must have a negative coggins test. Theoretically you also have to keep a copy of said test with you during all movements.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
quadrilles%2Frobinson1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE