Size up or size down?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've been looking at clothing sizes recently as I'm trying to work out whether to return some gloves for a larger size. It's got me thinking that I often make the decision to size up or down with clothing and footwear. It's partly being between sizes but also not being the standard shape for brands.

It got me wondering if others do that and in which direction for different items?

I'll start with gloves, usually sized down but now thinking of sizing up.

Socks always size down otherwise too much material bunches up and causes hot spots.

Trousers size exactly but pick brands with longer leg length for my waist size or poor size quality control which gives over length trousers.

Footwear size up for outdoor boots used in winter. Otherwise I pick sizes to compensate for brand size vagaries.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I find it is always an agony, especially when buying online. With Arcteryx, I am XL, with Fjallraven, I am L. 5.10 shoes fit dead right at 10. Red Wings, I have to come down sometimes to an 8 size .. they being stupidly-sized, even for clowns.

With new brands (to me) I tend to size low and send it back if its too small. Theory being if one orders a larger size and it turns out too baggy, the smaller replacement might turn out to be too neat a fit. I am right in the middle of this quandary at the moment, and decided to neglect my usual sane policy. I just ordered a Paramo Halcon in XL. Fingers crossed.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've decided my large endura cycling gloves need replacing with xl. A second, third and fourth test fitting has finally made my mind up. Initially the knuckle felt tight when a fist is formed but it wasn't really tight but finally I noticed the middle finger had no spare room and was starting to press against the tip of the glove.

The size guide has 10cm across the knuckles, mine measure 9.5cm. The xl is 11cm. Why would a glove that's for 5mm wider knuckles not fit mine?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Made for Viatnemese hands?

There is no ‘standard’ to speak of when it comes to clothes and such.
My normal shoes vary from 42 to 44. Same actual size.

I never buy online. I look, try, buy.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
We have this as constant problem with our sizing.It amazes me as to how many people have no idea what their measurements are or how to measure themselves. We put as much information on the webpages as possible relating to what your chest size is and what to order to help people get the right size first time. Such as here;

https://bisonbushcraft.co.uk/collections/boots-clothing-and-outwear/products/guide-wool-shirt

There isn't an enforced standard of sizes such as small, medium etc but with actual size measurements such as to fit chest 34-36 it is finite.
The best bet is to ask before ordering if the actual body (not garment) sizes aren't shown. Or if not sure measure a garment you have that fits how you'd like it and ask the retailer what measures the closest.

Have a bit of faith, the retailer mostly and the maker definitely know their products and how they fit.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I started this thread on the back of manufacturer's sizing not being right for me. My knuckle width is 9.5cm, large endura is 10cm. Perfect match according to brand sizing. They're to tight at the knuckle and too short on two fingers.

Looking at buffalo sizing. I'm a perfect 44" size when measured, 43.5". Advice is to go to the closest size above your chest size, I checked with buffalo. Excellent customer service btw. So 44 special 6 shirt. Had it nearly a year and tbh wish I'd gone a size up. A little too snug and I could do with a greater arm length on it.

I personally do not think brand sizing is to be trusted but only a rough guide. Try everything on or be prepared to return to distance seller for another size. I think you can't even trust the brand information from retailers when they say size up or down for a particular brand or product.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The shape is determined by an 'average', so it should fit a large % of the customers, but not all.
But, I have noticed, that the actual fit varies even within Europe.

The only off the rack suits that fit me well are made by Hugo Boss, and Made in Germany.
Italian made, Asian made - not a good fit.

For cold weather fit I want space.

Lined leather gloves I want tight enough that I can use a key with ease. Mittens - loose fit.

Having walked large distances all my life, I have very large calves, which is a huge problem with boots, be it leather or rubber.
I have never been able to wear riding boots/jackboots ( correct name?)
I solved the boot problem in the past by custom ordering those boots.
We are in the process of ordering some Saame style boots made from Reindeer hide, and thankfully the company are happy to accommodate our requests. Bit more cost, but as such boots last for decades, - a good investment!

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
There is a bit of complication here. I have a bunch of those Bison Guide shirts and will be ordering another soon. I got size L which is baggy-ish on me, but just how I want it. Usually I wear a XL with Arcteryx, but I bought a SV goretex jacket off them at XL size ... and sent it back because it was huge on me ... took me some time to realize it had been cut with cold weather layering in mind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE