Sites Near Nottingham

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Hi, are there any sites around Nottingham? I'm looking for somewhere where I can have a brew, cook some dinner and chill out for a couple hours, no overnighters or anything destructive. Does anyone know of anywhere they can share with me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Google earth is your friend when looking for sites.
Just zoom in on your area and have a look for the wooded areas, then go out for a walk and see what they are like.
Scouting new woods is all part of the fun.

Outlaw13

Nov 20, 2013
Nottingham
The Notts Wildlife Trust website is quite useful:
http://www.nottinghamshirewildlife.org/nature-reserves/

I'm quite fond of Bunny Old Wood, bit of a trek from the city centre though.
Skylarks is accessible from the town centre on a number 11 bus. It's quite small but there's a few places to tuck yourself away. You can also have a wander around the site across the road. Notts Wildlife Trust are trying to raise the money to buy it at the moment. There are a couple of lakes (disused quarries) and some scraps of woodland. It's a bit messy at the moment as there were people camping there over christmas so there's lots of rubbish about.
If you carry on down the road for 15 mins Pierrepont Hall is worth a wander around the gardens (£5).
North of the city you have Sherwood Forest where you could lose yourself for a day or so.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
If you were to catch the Trans Peak bus from Nottingham (goes to Manchester) it goes through a fair chunk of Derbyshire which might give you more options - quite a few woodland sites in the Derwent Valley between Derby and Matlock for example.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Thanks for all the ideas, given me something to get my teeth in to and have a look around :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Hi, are there any sites around Nottingham? I'm looking for somewhere where I can have a brew, cook some dinner and chill out for a couple hours, no overnighters or anything destructive. Does anyone know of anywhere they can share with me?

What sort of distance? How are you going to get there?

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
What sort of distance? How are you going to get there?

I have a car, so driving isn't an issue (and is preferred), however I don't want to travel for too long, no more than say half an hour.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Except Sherwood Pines is the HQ of the Forestry Commision and fires are prohibited in all of the forest.

Didicoy please! Leave no trace remember? Having to be stealthy adds to the experience! ;)

Cheers,

Edit: I'm sure fires were never mentioned in the OP? A woodgas stove on a rock wouldn't be too destructive..

All the best!

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Didicoy please! Leave no trace remember? Having to be stealthy adds to the experience! ;)

Cheers,

Edit: I'm sure fires were never mentioned in the OP? A woodgas stove on a rock wouldn't be too destructive..

All the best!
Funny enough, I can't count the number of times myself or my colleagues have been called away from our desks or our jobs to put out fires within Sherwood Pines, as a result of accidental fires, coused by careless people having bbq's in and around Sherwood Pines. Yes YOU or the OP 'ster may be sensible, but the people who may see you and then go on to give it a go themselves, may not be so sensible. We/the staff at Sherwood Pines provide facilities for picnics throughout the forest. All we ask is no naked flame fires. Sherwood Pines is open to the public to enjoy the environment and pursue many recreational activities. We even clean up after people. Whats wrong with land managers imposing a few ground rules or are you above all restrictions and rules? Forum rules state that we should promote lawfull activities and have a duty to the Good name of Bushcrafters. But some seam to think that it doesn't apply to them.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Whats wrong with land managers imposing a few ground rules or are you above all restrictions and rules? Forum rules state that we should promote lawfull activities and have a duty to the Good name of Bushcrafters. But some seam to think that it doesn't apply to them.

Firstly I believe the staff at Sherwood pines do a commendable job, truly. But I'd also like to clear up the fact that I have never lit ANY fire within Sherwood pines and that my first post was recommending it as a quiet place to go for a walk and a brew. My specific use of "fringe" to describe outlying tracts of woodland was perhaps misleading, as these are the places I do occasionally visit for overnighters or afternoons spent stalking deer for photos.

I don't believe I have overstepped any forum rules and my posts have been in keeping with the sites 'leave no trace' ethos. However if I am wrong as told by a moderator I will happily accept this and any applicable consequences.

I didn't mean to cause offence yet clearly you did. Your confrontational tone decimates the possibility of a polite discussion and ultimately prevents us reaching an understanding of the other in a grown up manner.

Lewis

Last edited:

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start a disagreement. Turns out my work have changed their minds, and I will no longer be spending so much time in Notts; which is a shame, as I was just about to go explore! I'll keep all your recommendations on file, just in case I find myself back there. Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE