Site not secure message?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
When I use my Kindle Fire, it won't connect me to the site on the grounds it is not secure and someone may be trying to steal information. This affects only the Bushcraft site. I have tries clearing cookies and attempting to log on again but to no avail. No other of my bookmarks seem to be affected.

This does not happens on my PC.

As always, I assume the fault is with me rather than the site. Any advice welcome.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just curious, what would happen if you deleted bookmark and got to here through Google search? I once had seen issue on my phone with one site playing up. I simply deleted bookmark and created a new one by searching for the site afresh. Struggled to remember password so took a bit of hassle getting back on but issues went away.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, Chrome 80.0.3987.87 on linux has been doing the same since it's came out. It considers the SSL certificate invalid for some reason, and doesn't provide any further details.

Firefox & opera, and oddly Chrome in Incognito mode works fine.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We'll check, all should be fine though, there's nothing outstanding on security stuff.

We're planning on an upgrade in a few weeks which includes some server upgrades so we'll do a full security check then as well.

Reactions: oldtimer

Chief

Dec 18, 2019
Lincs.
Latest Firefox on Windows 10 gives security warnings saying some parts of the site are insecure on the main forum page, suggests it's images and other such content which are presumably ones hot linked from external sources.

Just wondering if the Kindle Fire is stricter for web browsing and is complaining because of the above.

This specific thread shows no warnings whatsoever as an aside.

Reactions: Nice65

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, Chrome 80.0.3987.87 on linux has been doing the same since it's came out. It considers the SSL certificate invalid for some reason, and doesn't provide any further details.

Firefox & opera, and oddly Chrome in Incognito mode works fine.

Was a new Chrome release today (13th Feb) to 80.0.3987.106, and seems to have fixed my issue atleast.

Chief

Dec 18, 2019
Lincs.
I've never used a Kindle Fire so out of interest I looked up the Silk browser. I see that by default web pages are dynamically selected to load locally or through Amazons' own servers which presumably is like accessing the site from a cache server.

Apparently this option can be disabled in the settings, so maybe if you try disabling it, clear the cache/history/etc. and then try the site again in normal and incognito mode it would rule out whether that makes any difference or not.

Reactions: Nice65 and oldtimer

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
You are not alone Oldtimer. If I use FireFox it warns me that BCUK is insecure...in fact it won't connect me and it says " Go back" or "advanced" or suggests I'll die of Chicken Pox or something...:D
I know nothing about computers and have never bothered to say anything because if people try to help by offering what I am sure are sensible explanations ie: Chief's..." I see that by default web pages are dynamically selected to load locally or through Amazons' own servers which presumably is like accessing the site from a cache server. "
My brain shuts down, as he may as well be speaking Martian....:laugh:

This post is coming to you via a sneaky beaky browser called Epic, which won't suit everybody because some websites hate it and throw Teddy out of the pram and won't operate properly...But I'm happy to live with that.:D

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It’s very likely as Chief said in his first post above, your Kindle is detecting links or images that are deemed insecure by the OS, but are probably just nicked and shared.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, there is mixed content, but there was another problem, browser is/was denying immediate access to the whole site.

For the mixed content problem, someone with access to XenForo's install check src/config.php and the value of the externalDataUrl setting. It should be using https rather than http.

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My apologies for what may have been seen as a glib comment. I was referring to the Moot and only later heard through the grapevine that you have had real flood problems. Any minor IT problems are trivial in comparison.

I do hope thigs improve for you. Best wishes and sympathy.

Chief

Dec 18, 2019
Lincs.
As an update to this (which won't solve your problem) the other day I was trying out Chrome and noticed in the settings there was a setting about security and blocking content if the site had mixed content, so it's possible the Kindle browser has this option since like Chrome it's based on Chromium - of course it's also possible it's enabled but hidden from being changed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE