Single blade folder for Xmas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Hi folks. Hoping for some recommendations from more knowledgable folks than me :)

A friend of mine is looking for a pen knife for her mum's Xmas. I have asked for more details and the requirements are as follows:

Single blade folder for cutting rope and bailer twine on her farm (in Orkney so no real issues over locking and sub-3 inches), with a budget of £20-40.

What would make a really nice present but be a good, reliable knife too?

Many thanks folks,

KP

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Mmm! Didn't know you could get them with bone scales. Now I want one! Cheers fella! You really can't go wrong at that price, I couldn't make a folder for that as time is money...

review on hennies says the bone is plastic?

Poorly made
Reviewed by Bror from Denmark
The bone version wasn't bone at all, but plastic. Therefore I find it strange that it is more expensive. Mine did not came out sharp from the box, the blade was in fact very poorly sharpened. Overall I think it is quite poorly made. I can't relate to any of the other comments.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
review on hennies says the bone is plastic?

Ya I did see that but don't know if it could be advertised as bone if it's fake bone. Perhaps somebody wasn't expecting it to be a bit translucent and thought it was plastic? I could well be wrong. Either way, at that price I want one! Folders are basic knives but still take me longer to make than a normal knife. I think these are decent little knives and easy on the wallet.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Ha ha, the horn is giving me the horn! I like that a lot. The antler and pearl look very similar to a laguiole, another great folder in my opinion.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Well, as expected, there's a lot of choice, all with their own merits....

Thanks guys for your help. I will give my friend a wee list of links and she can take her pick.

Many thanks indeed for your input.

KP

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, as expected, there's a lot of choice, all with their own merits....

Thanks guys for your help. I will give my friend a wee list of links and she can take her pick.

Many thanks indeed for your input.

KP

As a small holder myself, the one thing I would say is necessay is one handed opening. Its amazing how often one hand is holding something that you cant let go. I would say go for a swiss army Wenger Ranger

ranger_178_sku.png

Works for me round the homestead!

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Victorinox Solo?
My wife and I keep one each in our cars for emergencies. Sharp out of the box, great for everything.
Can be opened one handed if you learn the pinch technique.

More money? Case Sodbuster Jr. Handy Niknaks have them in stainless at the moment for £28, bargain. Same pinch technique opens them one handed.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
British red is right, one handed is much more important than you may think. The ranger looks like the perfect multi tool for the job.

I don't like serations but when used on rope are great )not for much else though).

You could choose a fixed bladed knife too, specific rope knife maybe?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE