Simpleton Mora sheath mod - to make it safer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I recently went on the foundation skills BCUK course (very good course) but was rather embarrassed at one point when – on the overnight camp – my knife came out of its sheath and I couldn't find it. This then necessitated a torchlight search with several other people, in the dark. Fortunately we found it without anyone coming to any harm. The next day the knife fell out of the sheath when I was under my tarp.

This may be a particular problem for me because I usually wear the knife around my neck. It may arise when I swing the sheath and knife over my shoulder to keep it out of the way when doing something else.

I have searched the BCUK site and not found any specific solution to this issue other than to get a new (usually leather) sheath.

So here is what I came up with.

First a general view of the type of sheath. (The rubber inner tube on the body of the sheath has been there for ages and serves as an emergency tinder/rubber band etc, and also keeps an emergency cigarette lighter and short length of Duct tape underneath.)

CIMG5966.JPG

The ‘mod’ – if this actually warrants the name – was to super-glue a rectangular piece of bicycle inner tube on the inside of the semi-circle and then cut it to shape. I have stuck a piece of yellow paper on it to help highlight it in the next picture.

CIMG5967.JPG

I can’t guarantee that the knife won’t actually fall out accidentally anymore but it certainly seems a tighter fit and won’t make the problem more likely to recur.

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
That's a great idea. I find those sheaths to be the downfall of what is otherwise one of the best production knives ever made. It's a shame they stopped making them. If they'd continued the knife but altered the sheath they would have had a winner.
Thanks for posting the pics.

Josh H

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE