Simpleton bow (and arrow)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Just had a bit of fun making a bow and shooting an arrow I had made earlier.
I hit the target second shot and was feeling really pleased - it then took me about another 30 to hit it again. The target was a cardboard box box about 16" x 12", at about 15 yards. So if I can get that close to a flock (?) of rabbits maybe I could get one.
I made the bow by following the approach used in a 'bushcraftmyway' video - at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aa2R54F8vU&feature=relmfu
My bow was like this when I had finished 'carving' it:
CIMG9410.JPG

I didn't time how long I took but it didn't seem to take much time - maybe 30/40 minutes.
I didn't try to straighten it in any way before I started (?can you tell?)
I used paracord and when initially strung it looked like this - not too bad:
CIMG9412.JPG

My arrow had a pointy end made by knapping the bottom of a beer bottle and sticking it on with thin cord and epoxy. (Yes I know nettle cordage and pine resin glue would have been more bushy but this was all part of an experiment)
CIMG9413.JPG

The bow became noticeably weaker as I used it and despite restringing it, it didn't regain its original power. This was probably because a weak spot developed.
CIMG9419.JPG

Overall making and using the bow was good fun - and you don't need to be able to knap to make a usable arrow - see Bushcraftmyway video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH7U4UVoeRU

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....a flock (?) of rabbits....

Herd of rabbits?..............

........of course I've heard of rabbits!

sorry, I'll get my coat :eek:

Looks like a great project Chris, bows and arrows are always fun :)

Cheers,

Stuart

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great effort bud. When the bow starts to fail as yours did in the last picture we call that a "hinge" and your right its caused by a weak spot.
The trick to all this bow making stuff is spotting the weak bits before they become a problem. Now build another ;) and another ;)
PS Any kind of bow hunting in the UK is illegal mate so grab a rifle if you want to go for bunnies.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Stu - very good!!

Dwardo - thanks for the comments - I'd never made one before (or even heard how they should be made/pitfalls to watch out for etc) so I deliberately had low expectations - but managed to exceed them because it didn't break the first time I tried to use it.

I found it relaxing, and an opportunity to practice some newly learnt axe skills.

It also made me realise that I had forgotten how to tie an adjustable knot on a bow drill so need to look that up.

All good stuff and great fun, and will have another go soon. Although there isn't much hazel that I know of near where I live so will have to collect it as and when.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
This is something im going to have a go at too when i get a decent axe,
Ive just taken up archery at a local club.
Im that good they havent even finished my 6hrs of basic lessons and have already put me in for a competition!!!!
They have already taken of the sights so i can start learning instinctive aiming.
Just cant wait to get onto longbow and see what i can do with that

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
This is something im going to have a go at too when i get a decent axe,

I was fortunate enough to be on the Paul Kirtley weekend recently and he included safe axe use. I have had an axe for about two years but stopped using it ages ago because I felt unsafe with it. It's only since the PK weekend that I have begun using it again.

So ..... my personal view is that if you have never used an axe (and maybe even if you have) you might want to think about getting someone to show you how to use it safely before you start making your bow.:)

fozzy

Nov 21, 2009
lancashire UK
I've just made a bow , no pictures . Had fun making it , it was just a knock up really . I was very surprised it work and well . I will take piccies with my next attempt .

Warren of Rabbits :) thanks for the pictures .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE