Silver ?

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Does anyone know if silver is definately a water purifier ?

The reason I ask, is I have it in my mind to make a silver water flask, an exercise in silversmithing for a college project. I have pondered the benefits of silver for ages, and have even heard of a producer creating a water vase with silver pellets in the bottom, to purify the water poured into it to be latter tapped off for drinking water. So, many believe silver is a natural purifier, my question is, is it ?

To note, the water I draw from supplies out in the boonies, I do so via an MSR Miniworks, I then store it in a pewter flask, my idea was to replace the pewter flask with a home made silver flask and there take advantage of any further water enhancing properties the silver has to offer.

Also, of the silver, if it is a water purifier, is that pure silver as in fine silver, pmc, roughly 99.9% pure, or will sterling silver do at 92.5 % pure. The impure bit for strength properties is copper, 8.5 % ?

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Don't know for absolute definate about purifying everything out of the water, but silver does kill most bacteria. It is in increasing use for treatment of wounds to stop infection.

And I wouldn't worry about the copper, studies (in india) have suggested that leaving water in copper vessels for 24hrs reduces to fractional the chances of catching diseases such as cholera and typhoid.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sterling silver is anti microbial. Storing water in a silver flask (or even dropping a silver dollar in water) will NOT kill all nasties however!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I know that silver will "reduce" odour causing bacteria in clothing if incorporated, and I've always wanted copper worktops in the kitchen to be naturaly anti-bacterial. Cant afford it though.
GB

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Problem with using silver as a flask is not enough contact between water and silver. When silver is used for antimicrobacterial tasks, it is usually powdered and held in a matrix or weave - this gives a high surface area for contact between silver and contaminants, etc. In a flask, you have a solid wall which does not offer the same area of contact.

Furthermore, whilst it has antimicrobacterial properties, it doesn't kill everything and, like antibiotics, works better with certain types of micro-organism.

Having said all that, it certainly won't make the water 'worse' and will probably have a minor improvement. Would need to be lab tested to prove.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Good, I will go for it then, I plan to make a drum type canteen,(always wanted one of them) as I find this design the most useful, something I can sling over my shoulder as anything that can be slung leaving hands free, has the tendancy not to be left behind.

The idea of a canteen is not just for out in the sticks, but also with foreign travel, a decent water bottle at last, to my own design and manufacture.

Silver solder, I use hallmark quality silver and borax for soldering.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE