sika deer in wareham

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
sika buck (3 meg video)

out in wareham the other day stalking Sika.The buck gives out its warning call, when a group of ramblers walked by, and scared it :(

sorry about the dodgy cam, need tto spend some pennys and buy a new one

it will soon be rutting season!! good time to get some antlers :D

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Nice one Stoddy :D
It amazes me that an animal so big makes such high pitched funny sounds - not the sort of thing you expect to from such a beast!

Cheers

Mark

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Stoddy, good video.

You suffer from hand wobble too :D It's really hard holding a camera still for more than a second or so.

In fact I was thinking about getting a mono pod for my camera but it woul have to be very light.

Keep up the good work

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
good vid. showing me what i'm missing out on at the moment, lol.

good luck for your antlers

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Now that I've stopped feeling sick:p :D No honestly nice video that man:cool: , I've wanted to go and do some camera stalking for quite a while. How close where you could you (if it was legal) have taken a shot with a bow?

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
hey jdlenton, i'm pretty sure it ilegal to use a bow (of any kind) in the uk. its ok in the US and possibly canada.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
It is definately illegal to hunt with a bow in the UK. Apart from a few European countries it can be done in most parts of the world, lots of rules and licences involved of course.

I know it's off topic but to sort of put some percective on a shot like that for jdlenton (who's probably think "now I have a nice ash bow, what am I going to do with it ":D ). For any northern euopean deer you would be looking for sub 30 yards to make a good ethical shot, pref much closer, depending on equipment and ability. I could go into more specific detail but it would not be fair on others as this is not in the Fair Game forum.

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
I don't know about bows, but when I was a nipper "up north", we used to shoot deer with no less than a .308 winchester round. I was about 40 yards away, and had a head wind and from the left, so would have to aim off a bit. Also, a buck as a stronger breast plate than a Hind, so I reckon you would have to be closer to get a kill with a bow.

I always aimed for the animals breast, as I had seen too many wounded deer, by inexperienced hunters. and never used telescopic sights (sights are for wimps:- :) )

now I just shoot a camera :) , but it is good to know I can still get close if I needed to. :D

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Stoddy,
Wicked video , was in wareham forest this weekend trying swmbo's Tramper out .Didnt think i would see anything with my 5 year old twins tagging along , but caught the tail and hind legs of a sand lizard darting into the undergrowth !
Would love to learn Tracking/stalking , there are some awsome photos out there for the taking .
Pumbaa

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
:D R-J Now then if you look in my post is says if it were legal!!!!

Mod User said:
Mod User said:
who's probably thinking "now I have a nice ash bow, what am I going to do with it "
man u got me right but I have a nice rabbit size target to Aim at now

And for the rest of you the idea is that as bow hunting is illegal in the uk the way to practice is with a camera, stalk your prey as stoddy has done trying to get into position for a good bow shot and the simply take a nice close up picture of a deer, no one has broken the law the deer is unaware and unharmed you’ve practiced a good skill and bonus you have a very good picture of a deer.

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
I saw a 4 year old Buck today

he had a nice deep squeak

pumbaa

look at map below

deer.jpg

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Stoddy is that yellow road the one witth the silent woman pub on it ? i have a wander round there occasionly . Think i might need some kind of child gag to be able to see much in the way of wild life though ! i have 5yr old twins and they really do not know how to be quite (stand more chance with my rotty pup !)
Cheers
Pumbaa

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
not sure mate (only lived down here 2 years :) )

if coming from bere regis towards poole on the A35

turn right towards wareham forest as if going to cold harbour.

go past the cross roads

past the farm on the left (Lower woodbury farm)

then park up on the next left (it as a road barrier)

you will see deer in that area (even with noisy kids :) )

there is a hell of a lot of tracks in this area,

I have took my wife with a bright pink coat(she doesn't wear green :D ) quite close, as the woods can mask alot of movement and noise for deer (No matter what anyone tells you :) ) so proving a theory I have.

a deer will smell you or see you, before hearing you.

anytime you want to meet up at wareham, PM me

I am going to scotland on friday for two weeks, but anytime after at the weekend
(got to work in the week :( )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE