Sickened by vandals again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Took the dogs out on their walk and found that some senseless idiot had cut down an oak and a birch, leaving the latter leaning dangerously over the public footpath. They'd also cut up a brand new gate that the new owners of the adjacent woodland had recently installed
null-1.jpg

null-3.jpg

null-2.jpg

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If they'd cut down the trees to nick the wood for logs at least you could understand the reasoning behind it but to do it just to prove the saw works really pisses me off. The trees will grow back in about 15 years but the gate will have to be paid for

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I keep seeing this more and more around here when on my ranger duties. Last week I came across 5 new stumps and te remnants of 2 large open fires on dry grassland. I can only assume its kids but its a shame to see.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
We have a busybody in my local wood. He's gone from laying dead fallen limbs across tracks to digging holes....and now progressed to cutting trees and nailing limbs to other trees to block paths. Why? Not entirely sure its aimed at cyclists? Riders? Or the once a flood dirtbike rider. I've spent nearly 40 years in these woods.....everybody got on, be it any of the above. If I eventually catch this person in the act....my actions will be very firm.....legal ....but firm.
so my friend.....you have my empathy.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
We get stuff like this all the time in the woods we use, mostly done by Mountain Bikers to make new and unauthorised jumps, thing is they leave 4-5ft high stumps in line with their jumps, so we cut the stumps off on safety grounds, last thing anyone wants is to find a biker pole axed on a 4ft high stump, we then use the wood for bushy stuff, they have also recently taken to making huge jumps on public foot paths, so we knock those jumps down and clear them away from the path and make it safe for walkers to use per the agreement i made with the Estate.

Thing to do Spanit, is to make a positive from the negative, find the landowner, show them the photo's or even take them there and offer to clear the mess up free of charge, well, your payment being, you get to keep the felled timber.

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
I see this sort of thing all the time in local woodland. Its always just completely senseless too. You cant possibly figure out what they are doing. Except being destructive for destructives sake.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Damn that's disgusting, and it's sickening to see stuff vandalized like that.

When the Morrisons oppend next to us they planted lots of nice trees, all young saplings but arround the parking area and on the odd island and it made the place look nice. The ones by the Bus stops lasted about a week before they where snapped in half an shoved in the post box. The couple next to the footpath lasted a little longer but still got uprooted. My Mum caught a few of little yobs in the act pulled her car over and gave them the full School teacher treatment and made them apologize to the tree (not for any reason, but it made them feel stupid) and got the names and addresses and phone numbers and my mum called the little sods parents on the spot (with mixed results). Some of them now are 10 years old and are well on the way to beeing lovely looking mature trees.

I have also seen this starting to happen with some older oak's on the old railway embankment, but for a much darker reason. Some people are showing up in the middle of the night felling a tree and trying to "plank" it on the spot an make away with the lumber. I have took my dog for a walk at the crack of dawn and seen the log's left with saw marks roughly a inch apart along the trunk. It's sickening as one nice tree behind my house was felled and left a nasty gash where it took out another tree that took out the roof of a neighbors garage, and worst of all the Police are not interested as they can't police it, but I am intrested and if I caught them in the act I would give them a mouthful followed by a fitstfull if needed.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I don't like it when people vandalize nature. It's not good. People leave all sorts of crap in that little nature we have here too. :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE