Show your nessmuk!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
You can ruin any axe if not used correctly. I Personally (given the choice) wouldnt want to go lower than 55 Rockwell C as it is plenty soft enough to be really tough in the steels you are talking about. i have dropped 01 blades hardened to 58 on a concrete floor after reading that wayne goddard does this to test blades. So thought id see if it works and it damaged the edge only very slightly.

Granted 01 is a tough steel but so is any good axe steel. Just my humble opinion of course :) But then again i am certainly no expert on Axes, or anything come to think of it

Mind you i still fancy one of those marbles axes

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
Schwert said:
Well Hoodoo, I wish you would not have posted that.....the fire burns once again. Good thing Lee has a waitlist, that will make it easier to order as I will have some time to save up.

Good thing I can watch the days roll by on my new watch eh? :lmao:

Hoodoo what are the specs on Reeves single bit?

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Ok, I've finally got around to photographing my developing Nessmuk trio. I know the photos aren't great but £35 doesn't get you a great camera :rolleyes:
The Nessmuk knife is made by the Polish maker TLIM and although the shape and size are perfect it is a little thick in the blade (4mm) but I still like it. It is certainly capable of taking a fair pounding should it ever need to.
The hatchet is a cheap indian (asia) made tomahawk head I picked up from E-bay with about 4 hours work on and off with files and a dremmel to get rip of all the "black gunk and crud" (a technical axe term?) It is still unfinished and not yet permanently hafted or sharpened (don't want to remove my fingers putting the haft in).
The folder is an SAK electrician plus which I have raved about on here before so I'll just leave you with a wobbly photo :)
000_0099.jpg

Reactions: santaman2000

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
His website is at Tlim.net
I'm fairly sure his name is Mariusz and I dealt with him in Polish. He was meant to be getting an English version of his site but it doesn't seem to have happened yet

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll let you know how I get on Marts - he's posting mine next week with luck :D

Charmagne tells me the current waiting list is pushing a year now.

I'm trying to solve the double bit crisis for us with Cegga - theres a "teaser" post around somehwhere for anyone who wants to watch the development and testing of the prototype

Red

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Over at BritishBlades I found someone who is willing to make me a stick tang Nessmuk blade, but needs some drawings.
Problem is, I never ever handled a Nessmuk and casn only speculate about its dimensions
In this thread, I really liked the knives shown.
Would anyone be so kind as to be willing to send me a drawing of his blade, please?

Aug 5, 2005
I just got my first Nessmuk about 2 weeks ago, this one was made by Scott Gossman at Gossman Knives, (formerly Razorback-Knvies).

O1 and Desert Ironwood.

Razorback-Nessmuk-Sheath.jpg

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
oetzi said:
Over at BritishBlades I found someone who is willing to make me a stick tang Nessmuk blade, but needs some drawings.
Problem is, I never ever handled a Nessmuk and casn only speculate about its dimensions
In this thread, I really liked the knives shown.
Would anyone be so kind as to be willing to send me a drawing of his blade, please?

PM me your email address and ill send a drawing i made from the illustration in nessmuks book

Cheers
Nick

edit

sorry mate I just realised I already did that. doh

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They look nice Scott (although I like the Ironwood scales more).

Tell me - is that a convex grind I see (I do hope not ;))

Red

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Gossman Knives said:
Here's a Nessmuk I just recently finished. I normally make them with O1 but as requested, this one is D2, 1/8" thick full convex grind/edge with elk scales.
Scott

elknessmuk.jpg

I really really like that knife, great work. :)

Jan 28, 2007
Maryland, USA
Thanks. Red, yes convex grind. Not as convexed as you would think. I grind on a rotary platen that has a rubber belt behind the grinding belt. it's more of a flatter convex grind then doing it on a straight slack belt attachment. The edge is convexed.
Scott

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Gossman Knives said:
Thanks. Red, yes convex grind. Not as convexed as you would think. I grind on a rotary platen that has a rubber belt behind the grinding belt. it's more of a flatter convex grind then doing it on a straight slack belt attachment. The edge is convexed.
Scott
Thanks for the info Scott,

Sadly I just don't get on with convexing on aything but an axe

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE