Show us your modified Mora classics!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'd like to get one of the Mora 601 models soemtime to have aplay with and maybe modify and was thinking it would be a good mvoe to ask you guys if you have any that you've modded!

I would quite like a simple knife to play with and quite like the finger guard on the 601 and think it'll make a good size affrodable knife to work on!

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1...w=207&start=0&ndsp=11&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:79 <, liek that, I was considering removing the back guard, reshaping and staining the handle, maybe adding a but cap and possbiley re shaping the blade.

So, if you have any you've modded, let's seem them!

cheers :eek:

Reactions: buckfynn

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
spoon12099740.jpg

This one started life as a red painted wood handled laminated steel Mora #1 until our puppy got a hold of it. She gnawed up the wooden handle and simple leather sheath I had made for it. I re-handled it in stacked leather and cow horn. To attach the stick tang I made a small brass disk and peened the end of the tang over it. It's still a little too thick for my liking though it is very comfortable to use.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
yeah, that does look pretty cool! got any more?

any idea where the best place to order one of these classic moras from? (uk based seller)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
are they the cheapest? they seem to be one of the few webshops that stock them..

how is the handle removed fromthe stock tang? blade wrapped and held in a vice while the handle is tugged off??

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Our dog did most of the work removing the handle. That one was the older design with the longer stick tang. I have several of the newer, non-laminated classics that seem to have a shorter stick in them. I haven't had any of them apart yet.

I get all of my Mora's from Ragweed Forge in the US. IIRC they do sell the laminated blade blanks so maybe you could find just the blades and save yourself some trouble. I have a thing for the laminated blades. If I was going to do a project I would look to buy a laminated blank before I settled for tearing apart one of the newer classics.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I agree buy a blade blank its much easier try moonraker knives.

I love my No1. Here it is with a sheath I made for a Sheath in the hat on BB

SITH1.jpg

Here is a Frost 105 I rehandled as I didnt like teh handle and I got cheap.

Neck knife 2 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
not actually a Mora but it looked amost identical to a scout 40 before I started

P1000589.jpg

but you've seen this one already ;)

unless you definatly want carbon steel i'd suggest starting with the Scout 40 rather than the 601 - the wood andle is much better

Last edited:

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
not actually a Mora but it looked amost identical to a scout 40 before I started

P1000589.jpg

but you've seen this one already ;)

unless you definatly want carbon steel i'd suggest starting with the Scout 40 rather than the 601 - the wood andle is much better

very nice, is that a trapper mod opinel, blade looks different, i really want to make something like this ,

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
yep - I clip pointed one blade and drop pointed the other - as the nail nicks are on the same side I also scagel holed them

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
yep - I clip pointed one blade and drop pointed the other - as the nail nicks are on the same side I also scagel holed them

cheers mate for the info, i did a google and found some more pics, i see me doing one of these soon,

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

Yeah I noticed the handle on the scout knife, looks alot more proactical with the swell at the bottom. I wasn't intending on removing and replacing the handles, just shaping and staining, so I don't think I'll buy a blank just yet.

looking good though guys!

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Make sure you dont get the scout 39 though as they are great kids knives but not for adults.

The Scout 40 is no longer listed on the mora knife website

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
are the stick tangs glued into the wooden handles of the mora knives? And corse, do you have a tutorial on how to change a scout 40 into something as cool as that??

Dont know about glue on them, but do you want to save the existing wood? If not, the glue or lack of is no issue! I would guess at not, as it's another time consuming process & force fitting isnt that hard to do.

Here's (http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?26685-making-a-new-knife-(-my-way-)) a stick tang tutorial over on Britsh Blades. Post #35 shows fitting a block, before that he shows how a fancy laminated spacer is made.

brancho's tutorial on blosters http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93223 can be applied to easier shapes too.

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'd like to keep the existing handle, and just change it more to my liking. After having a good look around, I think I'd like a mora classic scout 40 more than the mora 601. The handle shape does look much better and it comes with a stainless blade which I wanted to try a while back on a classic knife.

The mora 601 looks like the blade needs altering slightly to make the bolster sit more flush, something I guess the scout would also probably need but the onyl scout I can find is on the american ebay and it;s like £25..

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
really? I've bout stuff from there before (the US site) with no issues..

they clearly state they ship to the UK also.

Ebay banned knifes in the UK about 2 years ago, the company may deal outside ebay, but ebay block us bidding/buying as I found out last month with a unsharpened damascus blank :( I think there's some exceptions as collectables but that's it.

And the seller I wanted to buy from also quotes selling to the UK & delivery times.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/weapons.html Ebay UK knife/Weapons policy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE