Show me your campfire reflector ovens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
About 8 years ago my quest to make or acquire a reflector oven came to nought ( a big unpleasant thing happened about then which took my mind completely off it ) but another thread today reminded me of them and suddenly I have a craving to get and use one.

Not decided whether to make one or blow my upcoming birthday loot on a nice shiny bought one so if you have pics of yours and comments on them that would really help.

Maybe I'll get a decent hand nibbler at last. I vaguely remember I already have... So many toooools...

Anyroad, your input would be appreciated.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Jared: How simple can it get? Thank you. The nuts & bolts take-down is brilliant.
I will make one with a horizontal rack for meat and bread pans, add a fry pan for bacon/eggs or add a sheet for biscuits.
Long bolts as fingers and the racks/sheets slide in and out.

The only flaw that I can see is that the whole rig is going to be hotter than Hades. Don't forget an oven mitt.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks, some great ideas there! I dug out the nibbler and it's a old UK made Monodex, it's missing it's top hand guard but the jaws look in good condition, looking up the modern version of same it says it's good for up to 2 mm aluminium or 1.2 steel ( less for stainless ). I've a decent jigsaw and metal cutting blades and all the rest I need except perhaps the skill to get it right first time.

the design I'm most favouring so far is the Old Scout type

http://www.oldscoutoutdoorproducts.com/oven2.html

but scaled up to take a "standard" UK baking tray.

it packs very flat and would slip into the bag my Auusie comedy sized frying pan fits into .

I'm not even sure where the best place is to get 2 mm ally sheet or if that's heavy enough to be robust enough ( I'm much happier ruining wood than metal ). I can do decent engineers drawings and was wondering how much it would cost to have the parts cut out professionally. I could easily make a card version to make sure the 5 sheet parts fitted together.

It's just occurred to me that my 15" camp oven , with its lid off and chocked up on its side facing the fire just needs to have a oblong of metal, or cut to fit pound shop wire cooling rack, to make a shelf to be used like a reflector oven, if very narrow.

http://southernmetalspinners.com.au/product/aussie-camp-oven-15-jumbo/

But then I couldnt use it for cooking other stuff in at the same time. Any road its worth trying out that way.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE