Shotgun?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I applied for my certificate and had the home visit before I had the cabinet.

I showed the visiting officer where the cabinet would go and that was it. My certificate came in the post and I didn't have any kind of follow-up visit. In theory I could be storing the gun under the bed.

I'm not of course; just in case any firearms officers are looking in...

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I thought it was normal to have the home visit before you were granted a licence, in case you get refused. Even if you have an incredibly secure cabinet and home security it's still up to you to ensure your guns are locked away, so not surprising some may not get their set-up checked.

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
It is a chicken and egg scenario.

The police are supposed to satisfy themselves that the conditions for secure storage are reasonably likely to be met, secure storage is the responsibility of the certificate holder, as it clearly says in the conditions on the first page.

If the police are of the opinion that the certificate holder is to be trusted then they may well take the Same's word that the cabinet will be apropriately affixed and used when the certificate arrives.

If you have a look at the Home Office security guidelines document, mainly parts 1&2, you will find all the information you need and be able to have it ready installed for when the FEO arrives for his visit.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/police/operational-policing/firearms-handbook-2005/firearms-security-handbook?view=Binary

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It is a chicken and egg scenario.

Not necessarily, I know some forces will do the visit and then hand deliver the certificates and check the safe then. I would advise new applicants to talk to their FEO before buying anything if at all unsure.

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
Not necessarily, I know some forces will do the visit and then hand deliver the certificates and check the safe then. I would advise new applicants to talk to their FEO before buying anything if at all unsure.

That is consistent with my post mate, hand delivery is to ensure that security arrangements are in place. :)

As you quite rightly point out however, if there is any doubt over the issue of a SGC or FAC, guidance should be sought from the FEO who will usually be very frank on the issue.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
rather then clutter up the forum I will ask my other question in here. Looking at gun cabinets and not sure on the size to get. Currently have 2 air rilfes at home (1 mine the other a mates) and looking at getting myself a 2nd one soon. Now I know you dont have to store these in a cabinet but figure I will keep all the guns locked up in one place. I can trust my kids but don't know about others. So the question is can you store air rilfes ok within a shotgun cabinet? Would you need a larger one to take the scopes? Also where do you keep the shotgun shells?

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
As long as you don't store the shells in the cabinet with the gun then it isn't really a big deal.

I keep mine in the garage.

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
So the shells dont have to be secured away?

"reasonable steps to ensure their security"

Otherwise, no legislation covers their storage.

I keep mine in the bottom of my cupboard.

Now if you have to report a theft of 5000 shells and it turns out they were in your garden shed... ;)

BR is correct.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Interesting stuff :) I've been thinking of getting my SGC too, hubby shoots a lot but is convinced he can't get one. Would this preclude me from having one as a partner? (His guns are cabineted by a SGC holder with his own but its a PIA when it needs cleaning/ work)

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I could be off the mark here, but you should be able to remove the barrels from the shotgun and store just the stock and firing mechanism as it's the mechanism that's classed as the firearm and not the barrels iirc, you could always feed a chain through the barrels to secrue them and prevent them from firing.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
"reasonable steps to ensure their security"

Otherwise, no legislation covers their storage.

I keep mine in the bottom of my cupboard.

Now if you have to report a theft of 5000 shells and it turns out they were in your garden shed... ;)

BR is correct.

I would have thought that the The Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005 would apply no?

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
I would have thought that the The Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005 would apply no?

As 1.4S explosives one would have to amass quite a pile to exceed the storage limitations; but you are right in terms of Explosives law there is regulation on quanitity but in terms of firearms law there is no specific mandate as to the method storage of shotgun ammunition.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No!!! Your joking surely

No. For a shotgun certificate you just need to be a responsible person (no violent crime convictions or history of mental illness).

Quite right as well - there are laws on how it should be stored and used. Thats enough.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE